I Forge Iron

Horseshoe Nail Wedding Ring

Ted T

Recently due to my wife experiencing serious health issues, Neurological Technicians were sent to our home to set up equipment to monitor my wife’s health.  

When the last one left, he took more than he brought with him. 

HE TOOK (STOLE) HER WEDDING RINGS AND A DIAMOND BRACELET THAT I GAVE HER WHEN WE GOT MARRIED FIFTEEN YEARS AGO ON THE 15THOF FEBRUARY.

It was the perfect crime. The medical community has harbored them, and will not

Provide any information about the people they sent into our home. 

They will not even provide information to the Sheriff’s Department. 

I watched my wife silently process what happened, and it was heart breaking for me to see her.

I write this knowing that only a few people will read this. 

But if it gives you a “HEADS UP ABOUT BEING VERY CAREFUL ABOUT ALLOWING ANYONE IN YOUR HOME,” it will accomplish what I wanted to do.  

KEEP IN MIND: they came wearing their official medical clothing, representing “the distinguished medical profession” that somewhat disarmed me. 

So Now: “IT IS TIME TO GET UP AND DUST MYSELF OFF”  

I was a blacksmith (by trade and as a hobby) for over 60 years. 

As I got old and ill, I no longer had the strength to forge.

After I become ill, I specialized in forging small items, 

and the trick was to learn how control heat with small stock, 

and that is what made it a challenge for me.  

As opportunity would have it, several years ago my wonderful Mormon neighbors ask me to make them some Horseshoe Nail Rings that they called a “Prairie Diamond Ring”. 

The Mormon Pioneers were frugal, and made due with what they had as they crossed the prairie to come to Utah.   

Over the past few years I have made close to 500 rings that they give out when they travel (called the Trek) part of the Mormon Trail. 

SO NOW IT IS MY TURN. 

I forged out a “Horseshoe Nail Wedding Ring” for my wife. 

I forged the head and crown of the nail into a heart shape.

She is happy, and then, so am I.  

IMG_3319.JPG

IMG_3316.JPG

Wow. Really sorry to hear that you were robbed and not able to hold them accountable for their low and dispicable crime. 

Very nice ring you made. 

I've only turned some cut nails into rings. Haven't tried with horseshoe nails and haven't tried forging them out. 

Thanks for sharing your warning and the nice ring.

That kind of story really puts knots in my angry:angry:. I hate thieves, especially ones who take advantage of folk needing help. I've thought about setting up surveillance cameras in the hours we could trip by voice when someone comes to the door. I like it better than keeping a firearm handy. 

Love the ring Ted. Small is hard to work hot. The level of craftsmanship I'd expect.

Thanks for the look. Give the Missus my best please.

Frosty The Lucky.