I Forge Iron

Hello from Arizona

Azhobbychick

I have been lurking for a bit and have found lots of useful information the sticky sections have helped a lot. I live in a neighborhood so I am in the process of building a Wayne Coe style forge from the plans on his website. I am coupling that with a Frosty T-burner. 

I am taking my time on actually finishing this project as I have an open forge night that I am going to attend on the 27th of the month and have just started accumulating the things I need for the project. 

I am car person and I currently have a race car that I built myself. I also do some light wood working. The TV show forged in fire gave me an excuse to show my husband the craft and get him, if not on board, at least to cave. I likely won’t post much for a while as there is a lot to read, but I figured I would say hello anyway. 

-Jacie

ThomasPowers thanks I’ll do that!  

Irondragon Forge & Clay I read it carefully and promised myself I’d not do something stupid the. Promptly broke my promise :)

It’s fixed now.

Also, just found a super cheap anvil shaped object to start out with. Pics as soon as I can get it out of my car...

You might read this.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/54645-using-the-name-on-the-forum/

Edited by Mod30
Remove @tag

Welcome aboard Jacie, glad to have you. You did something stupid and I missed it?:o DRATS I hate missing out on a reason to give a newcomer some grief! You think it's easy to maintain this curmudgeon status? Now do something I can use will ya?

What kind of race car? I don't like turning wrenches but I like fast cars. :) 

You want to start the craft by learning the basics? I can see you're going to make it hard for me to go curmugeon on you aren't you? Taking class or several is a good idea, every hour you spend with an experienced smith is worth days trying to figure it out yourself. 

About your "Anvil Shaped Object," (ASO) that's NOT an ASO, that's an anvil. Anything you strike against is an anvil by definition. ASOs are cheap cast iron junk that only look like anvils. Mostly from China but other places make them too.

Give us a shout if you have questions, I hear some of us are pretty talkative. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks guys!

The race car is a 2000 Mazda Miata with custom suspension, big brakes, Wilwood calipers, a crazy amount of chassis work, a freshly rebuilt engine and a completely modified cooling system. Too many modifications to make it competitive to count. It’s a fun little thing. There is nothing more fun than the look on someone’s face when the chick in the Miata outbrakes them and passes them :)

My first forge night is tomorrow and don’t worry Frosty, I’m sure i’ll Do something suitably stupid soon to deserve some grief ;)

9 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

I grew up in Cave Creek, and still come back to visit every few years. Welcome to the  insanity. Tell the hubby that we showed you how to forge a staple, and your going staple his lips to your anvil stump if he gives you any guff ;-)

I’m doing this...

Growing up we went to Glamis and the cinder hills with 250Rs. Always funny to see mom dust some old boy, and then the look on his face when she took he helmet off (she is built like a teenage boy). I used to tell my oldest daughter (she has CP) that she was anyone’s equal, on a horse. 

No pictures it didn’t happen ;-) we love pictures (some of us are retired mechanics) 

have a look at the 55 forges and the JABOD forges to get you started wile you build your gasser.

That's your FIRST time at the anvil? You'll be giving classes in no time at all. Nice looking cheese slicer, how does it work? 

That is a SWEET looking ride, what's it's top end? Nobody'd underestimate a lady driver if they'd ever ridden with Mother driving Dad to the emergency room. Did you know a 68 Buick LeSabre with the 500 cid V8 had a higher top end than an LAPD Hemi interceptor? 

You are Sooooo going to fit right in here Darlin.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 2/25/2019 at 2:50 PM, Azhobbychick said:

Here is a pic of the anvil shaped object I found as well.

I call those USA's - Unusually Shaped Anvil. 

Nice looking ride, Jacie, but after the 235 cu in straight six, the technology  got away from me, so my hat is off to you!

Welcome to the Forum,

Robert Taylor

Full disclosure already? We just met! :D I DO love a good straight line. 

Taking part in an open forge session is highly recommended, good for you. I'm mostly self taught till the internet went public anyway and it's nothing to brag on. I cherish folk who'll point out my mistakes or tell me easier / better ways to do things. I learn something every time I watch someone work metal any metal any technique. Even if the lesson is, DON'T DO THAT!!!:o Uh, that should be especially. 

Never pass up a chance to watch a smith work if you can, it'll pay dividends in spades. Remember your mistakes, just because it didn't do what you wanted this time doesn't mean that isn't EXACTLY what you need some other time.

This is more fun than driving a sleeper. :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.