I Forge Iron

Uses for Catalytic Convertor material

materman

Had a question I would like to ask if I may. A friend gave me about a dozen catalytic convertors that he said one buyer only offered  $5 apiece for and others wouldn't buy them period. I cut one apart to get a fill for there contents and found a nice block of honeycomb like material. I wanted  to ask your thoughts as to whether it could maybe be cut into bricks for lining a forge or grinding up to make refractory for a smelter? The stuff is supposed to take some pretty high heat and thought I would post here to get your guys thoughts. Thanks for any input.

Most convertors are worth money and he does sale the ones that are. But these are like a pre cat. Out of some diesel cars he parted out and the buyers just don't buy them, or only for $5. I figured they might be worth more then that as bricks or refractory, but just wanted to through it out here for people's thoughts.

Unfortunately "being able to take heat" does not necessarily make a good refractory for forges or smelters (BTW what ore were you planning to smelt? Different ores require different temps.)  Insulative qualities make a major difference as well.   Take the US$5/per and run!

I had the thought of cutting and sealing the ends so that the little squares in the material could theoretically work as dead air spaces. Figured i could mortor them back together with something like matrikote for this is what it looks like they used before, and then coat the whole inside. Figured  combined with ceramic wool it might work great for a standard gas forge. 

20190217_135636.jpg