I Forge Iron

Beginner anvil question

I have seen a brian Brazeal anvil (the rectangle type with different surfaces on a thin edge) on the internet. Can these be found and what might the cost be of new or used? Making one would be relatively straight forward or would it? What type of steel is used for those? 

That is something that you make yourself. I believe Brian used just mild steel plate, but I could be wrong there. If you could get hold of something medium carbon it will be better, but harder to grind to shape. Just grind away with a angle grinder and some coarse discs, then finish up with finer flap wheels. If you are starting out, just use the edge of the plate as-is, and develop the shapes as you see the need.

Steve

Brian's anvil design is for use with a striker. They are intentionally made from mild steel so that they are soft when struck by missed blows and can easily be dressed when abused. They are mounted lower than a conventional anvil to allow for the height of top tooling over a hardie tool. They are not really for general use.

I was under the impression that the OP was referring to the improvised anvil along the lines of the photo Irondragon posted, with 3 different profiles ground in- 1 as presented, slight radius on the edges, 1 rounded as a broad fuller, and 1 as (I think) a bevel like a butcher. I know Brian also made much use of his striking anvil, that Iron Alchemy referred to. Both are good examples of improvised anvils.

Steve

Stash, correct the 2-3 inch wide by 10 inches square, not the stricker version. 

I'm using a small piece of RR track so this type would weigh more and hopefully be within my starting budget. I don't plan to make sword or other large items, just hooks, leaves, crosses and hooks etc. All with smaller than 3/8 or or perhaps 1/2 material.