I Forge Iron

Anvil Harem

Thats cool njanvilman. I have kinda of a scrap yard i visit once in a while that has a firetruck inside for sale. Dont know what it is but its cool. My grandad had a powerwagon for use in his logging operation 40 years ago and my nephew turned into a hot rod. Very cool remembrance of grandad! He loved his loud exhaust stacks on his crew cab work truck!   Sorry to get off topic.

truck 01.jpg

Having asked a similar question before, the answer is you cannot have enough (except when running out of room to put them) , there is an optimal based on your work.

I got too much so I end up giving them away to "sponsor" beginning Blacksmiths and bladesmiths. 

Greetz, Bart. 

Considering that harem refers to the women's quarters and not really a collective noun and only by extension, the same as hive is not a collective noun for bees ... yet swarm is .... mm perhaps the women in a harem would like to swarm rather than fester ... never mind ... harem seems like an inappropriate noun for a group of anvils. 

Maybe we should ask what is an appropriate collective noun for anvils? 

A bunch? An array? A stash? A tumult? :)

Anvils in the Fisher & Norris Museum has come from most states East of the Mississippi, and a few from beyond that.  EBAY can be your friend.   The US Interstate Highway System is boring but efficient.  UPS and USPS ship all over.  I have rejected more pieces 3x over that I have.  This started over 25 years ago.  And in a few years, they will all be dispersed.  A lot of smiths will be thrilled to get some of the pieces in the Museum.  Some of the Fisher's are NOS, they have NEVER been struck.  The person who buys them will be the first to ever use it.  Just think if you could buy an Zero mile 1932 Pierce Arrow car today. 

Auction in Ohio yesterday had 50+ Anvils.  EBAY has 50+ listed at any time.  Work hard for a long time, save your money, and you too can have whatever you desire.

• 2 weeks later...

In the njanvilman pics above, in the middle picture I'm trying to figure out how anvils stacked 5 high appear to be on a 2 inch board with no bend? what am i missing? I've stared w envy at those pictures for a long while!