I Forge Iron

Glue to hold an anvil down?

Hello all, 

There's a crate of beer in a bet here. Buddy of mine gave me a epoxy-ish glue, which is made to glue steel plates to (worn) wooden beams for train track construction. It's not for glueing rails down, but the plates where the rails are screwed on. Seems to be strange glue. It's ignorant to water, but penetrates wood & rusted steel like crazy (like the  underside of the base of my anvil). 

Anyway, he told me it would hold down an anvil. I told him I'd get him a crate of beer if that would work. Hence the wager. My buddy didn't even used lots of glue. We decided I'd use it for a month, see if I could get it to loosen up. I got to keep the rest of the glue, so I got a couple liters of this glue now. Might also be good for attaching hamer heads to handles... 

Now I have a stump of wood, sanded flat, with a heavy flat based anvil glued to it. Secured to the concrete floor. Any thoughts how long this will last? Also the dampening effect of this is spectacular. Much less noise. 

Mvg Bart 

20190215_123546.jpg

20190215_123555.jpg

20190215_133232.jpg

Well I got a box of those double tubes, they say there shelf life is 20 years so I'm OK in the glue department. :-) 

I added a picture of the glue in question, on the bottle there a picture of it's intended use. Seems to harden fast at first, then slower. Full hardness after  6 hours. I've been beating at the anvil with a sledgehammer (axe making). Doesn't move, no cracks yet. I'm beginning to think the weak part is the stump of pine wood... 

Mvg Bart 

Well, today I tried to "pull" the anvil off the wooden stump by attaching a chain block to the round hardy hole and pulling it up. Hoping to shear the glue on that side. 

Result: nope. The ligt angle iron holding the stump on the concrete (there's 4 of m), bent open and the stump lifted. 

Strange observation though, yesterday the glue was like epoxy - hardening like a hard brittle plastic - today it seems more like hard silicone rubber. It is also impossible to remove from wood, unlike epoxy it seems to bond with the wood. 

I also find myself favoring this anvil over the other one. Could be because it's lower or doesn't ring anymore.. Or both. 

Sooo I'll continue to use it. In a couple weeks I'll start "destructive" testing. 

Mvg Bart