I Forge Iron

Modifying mini-press?

JHCC

My local industrial surplus place has this interesting item listed, and I was wondering if it might be practical for a small forging press:

20190213090949507_L.JPG

The cylinder has a 2.5" bore and a 4" stroke. There are no dimensions given, but they have it listed as weighing 115 lbs; I'm guessing its no more than a couple of feet tall.

To my inexperienced eye, this looks like it could be very handy for some smaller jobs, especially since I have neither the space nor the budget (nor indeed the wiring) for a full-sized press. What do you folks think? And how might might I expect to pay for the actual hydraulic pump, control mechanism, etc (ballpark, of course)?

Many thanks.

That really looks interesting. I priced a pump for my log splitter at Surplus Center and they ran about $150-250 depending on the GPM for the pumps and a double acting selector valve was $120. Then of course you would need a motor & hoses, reservoir tank and make an anvil & dies.

I like it if the price is right a 4'' stroke is fine see if you can get the controlls and pump from a log splitter it can't be hard to get a 5hp motor in the states used , dont quote me on the math but you should i think get it pushin 15/20 ton fast.What size is the cylinder its hard to tell in the pic.

Of course, they do have this one as well, but I think it might exceed the electrical capacity of the wiring in my garage (not to mention the height of the ceiling, the extent of my budget, and the patience of my wife :)

20190124123754017_L.JPG

13 hours ago, JHCC said:

Lisa drives a Honda Fit -- this probably weighs more than the car!

I did a double take there John. I'm sure glad you didn't say Lisa weighs more than the car!

I'd want to take a look in person but I could probably get a lot of use out of that little press thingy. Heck, the controls could even be on the other side. 

Frosty The Lucky.

No, it’s just the cylinder and the base; there are photos on the warehouse’s website. 

There is another one for sale that has controls and at least some of the hydraulic works, but its cylinder has only a 2” bore. If my math is right, then that’s only 2/3 the oomph of what’s already on the small side.  (Update: just checked the site, and that one has sold.)