I Forge Iron

• 2 weeks later...

A lot if not most punches like this aren't used for making holes in metal they're for driving pins, soils drill bit teeth out or aligning structural steel for bolting, etc. You can buy them new in real hardware stores. DANG, can't find a pic online, I don't know what the right name of the things are I guess. 

Frosty The Lucky.

6 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Try:  backing out punches 

And no I didn't know that term to start with...

I LOVE having back up! Thanks Thomas!

And yes, you can punch holes with them too, they're made to be hit with hammers. By DRILLER'S HELPERS if you want to talk about get a bigger hammer bunch of guys I have stories for you!

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...

All the back out punches in the Google images seem to have straight sides, not tapered, and the punch ends seem longer. This tool appears to have been struck often as well. Google says you are not supposed to strike them with a hammer. Although I doubt many people actually follow that advice. 

On 5/14/2019 at 2:54 PM, DHarris said:

Google says you are not supposed to strike them with a hammer.

Probably because the safe assumption is never hit hammers together. It's not a push punch or it wouldn't have a handle so you have to hit it with something and its like hammers were made to hit things with.

Frosty The Lucky.

I guess getting hit by a pinky size chip probably isn't fatal often enough to prevent the stupid gene being passed on. I've picked up some struck tools that are shockingly mushroomed, more shroom than hammer. 

Frosty The Lucky.