I Forge Iron

quick adjust vise

Kevin Olson

This is in the back of a van we are working on in the bodyshop. Looks to say MARBEY'S but the s looks like an 8. Then there is an unrecognizable letter then &K. It also says "pat may 11 1830" . Its really hard to make out.  Im at work and trying to do this quick and google finds nothing and I have never searched for patent info before so Im just stumbling around with that. Maybe some one here has seen one of these. To operate it , the handle goes straight up which releases the screw so you can quick slide it on or out then a quarter turn on the handle locks then tightens the vise. Really a neat vise.  I am going to see if its for sale when he picks up his van.

20190212_114759-1-1.jpg

20190212_114859-1.jpg

Thomas. Thanks. With my eyes it looked like 1830 but looking at the pic I, like you, saw the 1880 then found the patent and its the same vise. Thankyou. This little thing is built heavy duty to. It has 3 1/2 jaws. Bottom of the vise to the top is 7 inches and length without handle is 12 inches. Its much more robust in person then the pics show.  I want this thing so bad I can taste it :-)  Hope I can buy it!

It looked like 1830 to me too; but I've run into "incomplete castings" issues before and so tried the "usual suspects".  I wouldn't mind that one as a user in my shop!

Show the owner the patent, may make a price difference it being 1880 and not 1830---there was a real boom in cast iron creativity post US Civil War. And---Good Luck!

I've got an old vise with a large cast wingnut for the same purpose, except mine was a different manufacturer and was 1888 IIRC, it's back at my other place.  Note I have it mounted on the crank table for my floor standing drill press so I can move it up and down till it's the exact height needed for what I'm working on. (The crank table has a central hole...)