I Forge Iron

Assuming you are in the US, the web page to access your local code for free is here:  https://codes.iccsafe.org/search/map.  Good luck, they aren't exactly easy to interpret.  I typically qualify a forge as an "appliance", either solid fuel burning or gas fired.  There are different sections for safety, ventilation, piping standards, flue discharge and penetrations, gas train requirements, propane tank locations...  You might also want to check with your town board to confirm local ordinances for your "hobby" (and don't forget to call it that, unless you are definitely going to go into business).  

Many folks have had an easier time calling their smithy an "art studio or atelier"   and remember that it's all up to enforcement!  (I had some friends who were building a straw bale house and local code said that a rubble foundation would work---save our local inspector told them that "no rubble foundation would ever pass his inspection!")

Propane is often easier to get passed than solid fuel forges.  Hard to ban a propane forge and allow propane BBQs, ranges, water heaters, etc...