Sign in to follow this  
Dls1990

Second knife attempt (first finished knife...pic heavy)

Hey guys heres some photos of my second knife attempt and I actually finished this one. The first knife I made from a leaf spring that I inexplicably dropped and broke after quenching but to my surprise the grain looked really good and tight. This knife is a bowie forged out of 80crv2 with a blade length of about 8.5". The guard is a piece of scrap spring steel forged to shape. The handle material is leopard wood fastened with epoxy and stainless steel roof nails that I cut for pins. I also purposely tarnished the blade with mustard and warmed apple cider vinegar for protection. 

20190207_230134.jpg

20190207_230017.jpg

20190207_230012.jpg

20190207_230005.jpg

Looks like a nice "user".  Great job for a second blade.  Personally I'm not a fan of guards that curve down that close to the knuckles (any sharp edges there do a number on your hand if you ever use the knife for light chopping) and like a bit more sculpting for a handle, but if it fits your hand well, then it is all good.

Thanks, yea it fits my hand well and I've chopped through 2 sections of 2×4 with no issues but I can see where it could cause issues. Thanks for the feedback and I will keep it in mind for future work.