I Forge Iron

Another “Scottish” newbie

Grantstew8

Hi

After lurking for a week or so and thought I’d like to join up as there is some really great information on this site and I’m enjoying the tone and banter too.

My interest is to make green wood turning tools for a pole lathe. A Railway track anvil will do; thanks to the fascinating post started by Mr C R Stevens. As for a forge, a JABOD appears suitable.  I collect random tools so I’m sure one of the two dozen hammers I have will fit the bill. I’ve most of the safety kit for welding and grinding classic cars but will check in the relevant threads. 

Im based near Edinburgh in Scotland and although my father Is Scottish, I grew up in Africa, and somehow ended up here.  Hence the inverted commas around Scottish; I don’t have the right accent but can drink like the rest of them....

After more research, blagging a short section RR line from somewhere and then I can think about starting. I’m reading some of the royalty free smithing books that make an interesting read too, despite the English being somewhat dated.

thanks for a great site!

• 9 months later...

Had to do a search for pole lathe. Is that your hobby?  The Minnesota state fair had a blacksmith shop which had a lathe like that on the left of the entrance and the blacksmith on the right. Very cool building. I would spend hours in there. Then the state fair boneheads tore it all down and put up some modern overpriced vendor %$#@  

We ran into that issue with the local "Renaissance Craft Fair".  The local blacksmithing group had been demo'ing there for years, with a few sales to help defray expenses and the Fair decided we should pay a Vendor's fee.  No more blacksmithing at that Faire as nobody was making the kind of money they were asking, especially as demoing was the focus and not selling.