I Forge Iron

Any experienced Smiths move to the Vegas Valley lately?

Darin

Morning everyone, hope you're well.  I'm still an ubern00b and haven't heated up my first piece of metal because I'm still putting together supplies.  That...and I'm nervous to do it solo without any direction.  I intend to attend a class that's happening in Tonapa, NV, but that won't be until late spring/early summer due to weather and I'm chomping at the bit to get started, so I was wondering if any experienced Smiths had moved to the Vega Valley over the past few months that would be willing to teach me at least the basics.

Thanks

Dear Darin,

You can start teaching yourself.  Many experienced smiths did not have a mentor or classes.  We started with a way to get steel hot (a forge), something to hit it with (a hammer), and something to back up the hitting (an anvil).  There are good books around and some good Your Tube videos.  Do not take everything you see on the internet on faith, though.  There are some pretty goofy things out there.  Just feeling how the hot metal reacts under your hammer and developing the coordination and muscle memory to hit where you want and how hard is a lot of learning black smithing. Good luck.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Dear Darin,

I'm making the assumption that you are a fairly young man.  So, I will put this bit of advice in millennial generation and later terms:  Much of learning to be a smith is similar to learning how to play a video game, development of hand/eye coordination.  There are lots of other bits of knowledge like properties of steel or what tools do what but the basic physical act of forging steel is learning the hand/eye coordination and muscle memory.  No different than learning which button or lever to push on a video game controller to do what.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

50 minutes ago, Steve Sells said:

Why only interested in newly moved people? dont the old timers hold any interest for you?

The residents might know him already Steve. :rolleyes:

Just joking, I'm betting he's done the usual smart phone websearch without success. Try the yellow pages, (Yes the PAPER ONES! :o) If you don't see Blacksmiths listed try a farrier or farrier supply. No, do NOT email them unless you wish to be ignored. Ah HAH! it just occurred to me, you DID email didn't you, Darin?

I delete an untoled and unlamented number of emails every day it's a LOT worse if you have a commercial page. Nobodys's going to respond to a random request for lessons, it's way more likely a scam than real. 

Anyway, back to the phone, give them a call. Be polite and don't get into long explanations and just ask. If they don't offer lessons they know who does or know somebody who knows who does. Did I mention having a notebook and pencil/pen in hand when you call? 

When I do this kind of looking I write the business name, location and phone # on my note pad. I prefer Steno pads, the wire coil doesn't get in my way when using the left border. 

Steno pads are my Go TO note pads for darned near anything written on the fly especially multi subject or criterium lists. For example calling about lumber availability and pricing. Across the top, designating columns down the page. Vender is always the left column. (I'm rt. handed.) then Quantity (Qty.) next Dim. next $, ea. and $ qty.&#.

That makes 3-4 columns down the page. Right?

On Dbl spaced lines I write the Vender name. on the blank line the ph #. and then fill the columns with pertinent info. If I need to make special notes line 2 is blank all the way across the page.

Make sense? I'm not saying this IS THE way to do it, it's just how I've done it for the last 50+ years. 

Oh yeah, your original question. Yes, there are a number of smiths in or near Vegas, a couple top end ones but it might cost a pretty $ IF they want to teach.

Frosty The Lucky.