I Forge Iron

Help with my Hay Budden

Rykerswish

Hello everyone. I was wondering if I can get some help from anyone regarding my recently acquired anvil. After reading some threads I believe I may have gotten the short end of the stick. In a nutshell I was owed a small chunk of change from a blacksmith I recently did some cabinet work for. He had issues forcing him to relocate out of state and had a outstanding balance which he offered a trade in which I agreed. A 259lb hay budden. After reading some threads I see paint is a no no, and messing with the face is another no no. Both are consistent with mine. The paint is very old and I commented on the face being so clean, he assured me it was done by himself with proper methods and correctly. I guess I have to take his word on it. Anyways I’m in desperate need of cash to take care of a unexpected expense so I must get rid of new toys that aren’t my trade(woodworking). Please feel free to chime in and lend this fella a hand. Thank you in advance for your time. 

512E7FE4-8AC6-4672-B8E5-08DE6405118E.jpeg

1EB8F452-5591-4FD7-9D71-795B4AF84AE1.jpeg

E7AD7E5F-DFB0-4C3D-B2FB-3F795CBF4E17.jpeg

5015C646-751D-4818-AC70-00091BE2329E.jpeg

63A7250B-DB89-45CC-9AAD-25CC847A9689.jpeg

F619A687-FBE0-428F-9A2D-7B4B2DF689C6.jpeg

That paint is obviously not hiding a a body defect on that anvil: so no problem with that.

I can't tell how much face is left on that anvil; the ball bearing test would be helpful as would the serial number on the front foot.   Starting with A?  it would tell us if that anvil was made before or after HB went to one piece tops.

Not knowing what country you are in I can make suggestions about possible asking prices for it.

Looks to be in fine shape. Check the rebound (not my video)~

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t0qeuOf4IZ4

Depending on your location you should have no problem turning that into $1000 USD, roughly $4 per pound in the eastern U.S. and more out west where anvils are scarcer, perhaps $1500 or better. The price starts going up considerably when the weight is north of 200 pounds.

First character is an A followed by what could most likely be a 3 (since Hay Budden serial numbers stop at A57,000 in 1925). Next is either a 0 or a 9 followed by 370.

This puts the manufacture date as 1921.

I pretty sure this is a wrought iron anvil (not cast) with a hardened steel face plate. I'd value it (based on my locality) between $1,000 and $1,250 USD.

Thank you all so much. Well the $2000 I was owed is looking like it’s not going to be recouped. Was told it was worth a bit more. Oh well my fault for trusting and not doing my due diligence. All reply’s are very much appreciated. If anyone has any woodworking questions shoot them over haha.

1 minute ago, Rykerswish said:

Well alright then. I shall try my luck. You gentlemen are top notch.

I agree with David Thomas. Emphasis on west coast and north of 200 lbs; the farther west in the U.S. the higher the price. Anvils on the west coast routinely go for much more than in the east. In Alaska and Hawaii anvils of any size and condition are scarcer than hen's teeth and can go for silly prices especially in an auction situation. At 259 lbs you have a rare commodity there in that market. The face does not appear to have been ground any appreciable degree, just polished. $2000 is a fair starting point in California and not exorbitant. If I were selling an anvil in good condition such as yours in California and it was under 200 lbs I would ask $6/lb. Over 200 lbs I would ask $8/lb. Prices have gone up quite a bit on anvils in recent years with blacksmithing being fetured in a few popular television shows and with that interest in the craft and demand for tooling remains high. Don't sell yourself short, ask $2000 with no qualms because that is where the market is. Good luck.

2 hours ago, Rykerswish said:

I’m in California

We won't remember this once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show location. I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST

Remember there is always some haggling in the selling to blacksmiths :) so $2000 is not an unreasonable starting point.

Who knows if you read enough here, we may draw you into the insanity, which goes right along with wood working.

I feel like a broken record but I can’t thank you guys enough. That was the intent and still will be moving forward but desperate times call for... I’m trying to move out of the customer department ( there nightmares) and focus on my custom pieces. Wanting to bring other mediums into my pieces and have them be all my art instead of subbing parts out. So I will definitely be hanging around, reading, soaking up knowledge. I’ll be asking a lot of questions as well and hopefully y’all don’t get to sick of the new guy. Have a great evening gentlemen.