I Forge Iron

Ugly Metal Box forge

Eventlessbox

That's not too horrible. Can you send me a link to those? 

Mikey - Once I get everything finalized and I put it through a "session", probably making a few punches/tools, I will definitely part a review on it. Right now it's just more like "oh hey, nothing got pooched during shipment. Cool beans."

I appreciate the feedback and encouragement. I agree that there's a ton of focus on homemade forges, and that's a great thing. The only reason I didn't try and build my own is because most of what I've seen require some welding and I don't have access to a welder nor do I have proper electrical for it, being in an older property.

I have plenty of land though, so maybe one day down the line I'll put up a dedicated workshop space, instead of the lawnmower/snowblower/weed whacker co-op spot I'm in now.

Let us know how those hold up.  Not all IFB's are created equal.  The K26 bricks that have been praised on here recently were specifically the Morgan Thermal Ceramics brand, and from accounts given on here they hold up much better than other bricks which are also rated at 2600 degrees F.  I haven't used the Morgan bricks yet, but I have used some other 2600 degree F rated IFB's which are only marginally better than the 2300 degree rated bricks.

It looks like the bricks to which you refer are rated at 2800 degrees F, but I am curious about how they hold up to repeated thermal shock and the occasional bump.

K rating has to do with the temperature a refractory brick is rated for. Toughness is a separate issue. Both Morgan's bricks and the old style bricks are both clay based; both are rated for a maximum temperature of 2300 F. But the old style bricks are made with a foaming agent that makes them overly friable. Morgan's Thermal Ceramic bricks are made by introducing live steam during manufacture, and are not "rubble just waiting to happen," like foamed bricks.

A new update as I finally had time today to take a break from chicken coop and tiny house carpentry to fire the forge for more then a short bit(about 2 hours). I started working on my first pair of tongs today. The steel, once the forge got to temp, heated to the point of looking liquid on the surface. ( Am I correct that this would indicate a temp capable of forge welding? ) So at this point I consider the forge to be a success. 

Also the 2 hours today and the 45 minutes or so in first fire up were all from a grill sized (20lb?) Propane tank. So it seems to be efficiant with fuel as well.

Steel will get a shimmery, wet look at EASY welding temp, you can literally lay stock this temp together and have it weld. Did it look like it was smoking when you took it out? Next time try welding a couple pieces long enough to hold without tongs. Wire them together and when they reach shimmery GENTLY tap them together with almost dead blows. No hammer bounce you don't want to SMACK the joint to set the weld. 

A basic weld is a first session lesson in my shop, get the mystique out of the way. 

WAIT A SECOND! Where are the pics? No pics and it didn't happen you know. :angry:

Having fun yet? :)

Frosty The Lucky.

It was indeed shimmery. And in fact the very end looked like it was ready to bubble. 

As far as pics I'm still having issues getting good ones of inside the forge. But pics of the tongs once completed will indeed be posted. I am just now taking a break after drawing out the reigns on the second half. 

And as for having fun. I was having fun long before I ever lit the forge the first time. I'll admit I was worried that once I had actually shaped some steel it would loose some luster. That worry was for naught though. I have the bug even harder now. I find myself thinking constantly about my mistakes and how to do better, where to look for inexpensive or no cash cost(nothing is free, at least not more than once), even future ideas for ways to do patern welds. 

It is truly bringing me joy. Can't stop smiling great mood, bubbly JOY.

As promised, pictures of my first tongs. The bolt will be being replaced with a rivet once I use them for a bit. I want to be able to separate the two halfs and refine them easily. And the bit is going to need some work. 

Not pretty and certainly not even. But a learning experience to be sure. Hopefully they will make my next set of tongs easier and much much more refined than these.

15496401280084339447931719084334.jpg

15496401623715265055267324663285.jpg

15496401868062954463753094277151.jpg

Ya, OK probably the best thing to do. Save the thin reign as it is part of your first pair. I have a bucket with items like that dating back several decades and it's fun to look at them every once in a while to remind me of my progress. Your first pair are hands down better than my first ones.