I Forge Iron

More from a Old Man's Front Yard

JPH

Howdy!!

Here are a couple more by an old man working in his front yard... The smaller one has some pre-WWI Bakelite on the grip and a  12.45 Ct Star Sapphire in a wood grain pattern blade..  The larger one has some of that bowling ball material I scrounged a while back for the grip with a 27.8 ct Purple star Sapphire... Peppermint Twist pattern blade..all have bronze fittings..

Didn't come out too bad for an old man in the front yard..

FAB...

JPH

DSC05114A.jpg

DSC05118A.jpg

DSC05120A.jpg

DSC05121A.jpg

DSC05122A.jpg

DSC05124A.jpg

DSC05125A.jpg

DSC05126A.jpg

DSC05127A.jpg

39 minutes ago, JPH said:

Didn't come out too bad for an old man in the front yard..

Not too bad? I'd say those are sexy as xxxx. Very very very nice work! I want to be like you when I grow up.

Edited by Mod34
Edited for inappropriate language

This is the kind of thing that grates on me. You make this awesome blade and tell us you knocked it out in your front yard. No big deal. Many of us would not be able to create that with all of the most sophisticated equipment available. That is sure enough purty. It is humbling for sure. Thank the Gods for the gift you have been given.  Awesome. 

Ayup, Jim is living proof it's not the tools that work the magic, it's the person using them and the years of work developing and honing the skills.  I may joke with Jim but without hesitation admit I'm no match, never will be. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty:

I live in a jungle..of course I got trees,along with vines..snakes..lizards..peafowl, opossums, squirrels, turtles an d those cute little gopher tortoises and a few gators and armadillos 

Horse:  Well what you said is the way you see it.. I made them..that is true...but they were made in my front yard and I am well on the downhill side of 100 so... 

Brother Thos: Who you calling  a"tool"??  heh heh heh

pics of my front yard studio:

FAB

JPH

DSC04690A.jpg

DSC04717A.jpg

DSC04750A.jpg

Eventless: 

Don't fret..everyone starts out naked and ignorant...  Some decide to stay that way..others better themselves.. So just hang in there and keep chipping away at it..I have been doing this for a couple of years so..I do have a wee bit of a lead on ya but if I can do it as ham handed and as clumsy as I am... just about ANYONE can..

FAB..

JPH

Well said JPH. Tho, I think Anyone would have to be dedicated to getting there. The information is out there to learn. Most people have a world of knowledge at their fingertips. If you dedicate yourself to applying that knowledge, who knows what you can accomplish. It would even probably cost less than a college degree. :rolleyes:

Well, I was thinking a man with a spreading chestnut or similar tree was never without a shop. Is the building packed solid yet? Mine was getting crowded before I got the roof closed in. 

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, eutrophicated1 said:

Wow.  Look at all those grinding belts... 

Speaking of grinding belts, what's your typical order, Jim? I felt kind of extravagant ordering 3 ea. of 6 grits. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Eutro:

The benches are made of good old  pine 2x's and plywood and then sealed/stainedwith Thompsons..nothing fancy just solid benches..

Frosty....the belts.. I order these by the gross..come to think of it I am starting to run low so I got to get more..

On  different note...just putting this out there..is there any interest in a  how an old man does a pattern welded something from starting sheet high carbon steels and hardenable  stainless shim to a finished whatever it turns out to be...including the bovine ivory grip??  Let me know cause I need more stuff for my site.. The two fancy daggers above sold  yesterday

FAB-

JPH