I Forge Iron

Chicagoland Newbie

MaxwellB

So... With the -25 degree weather, a car that won't turn over (cranks but not starting), and a three days off in a row due to the joys of retail, I figured I'd introduce myself.

My name is Maxwell, but everyone calls me Max. Born and raised in south Chicago suburbs, but it's easier to say Chicago or Chicagoland, so people know what you're talking about. I'm 37 years old, I like candlelit dinners and moonlit walks on the beach... wait, wrong profile. Sorry.

I am 37 years old. I have worked a variety of retail jobs, been everything from a seasonal peon to an assistant district manager. I've worked in computer stores, gas stations, malls, big box, little box, medium box. I've worked in factories and bakeries as well. I went to school for Culinary Arts when I was laid off a bunch of years ago, just to sharpen my skills.

I decided that for 2019 I'd finally get off my backside and get a hobby going. After looking at everything available, I kept coming back to smithing. Between enjoying making things and seeing the potentially limitless variety of things to make, I made my choice and started gathering tools and supplies to get cracking once the weather turns. I plan on my end game being primarily knives... Pocket knives, EDCs, kitchen knives, things like that. I wouldn't mind selling them, but at this point I'm more for the learning than anything else. Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement. That sort of learning fits me to a T.

I've gotten some great feedback from some members already, and I look forward to learning more every day. Now if only the weather would cooperate, I could make some progress in setting up my work area and getting some other things to get closer to being ready to go.

Welcome aboard Max, glad to have you. Lots of blacksmiths cook, heat management is a solid connection. We all get the experience, good judgement, bad judgement thing. A goal of mine is to learn from other people's bad judgement, costs and hurts less you know. ;)

If you go for a moonlit walk on the beach tonight mark that one on the bad judgement list. right?

What do you have for kit now? It doesn't take much to get started: Bean can, a sq. ft. of Kaowool, Bernzomatic torch, 10 lb or so sledge hammer head, pair of vise grips and a smooth faced hammer. You're better off if you rigidize the Kaowool, no reason to breath sharp pointy ceramic fibers a ceramics shop or fiberglass supply will carry fumed or colloidal silica. 50/50 with water, and spray it on and you're golden. Kaowool in your typical bean can forge is very much a wear item, there isn't enough room to practically add a hard refractory inner liner so you just replace it when it start getting ratty. 

A block of wood to let the sledge hammer head into is good for the stand and putting it on a couple throw rugs will quiet it down if you have neighbors. You WILL want ventilation even though it's such a small torch, it's still putting out CO in quantity, the kitchen range hood makes a good back drop with a window cracked opposite you. 

Doesn't sound insurmountable does it Max? Hmmmm? :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

With the current weather look into a micro forge that can be used in a basement powered by a cheap propane plumber's torch.  I forged all the nails for my mastermyr chest variation one winter in Columbus OH that way.  Regular forges would  need to be outside for CO reasons.  Now if you have money to NOT burn an induction forge would also be a good choice for Cold/Hot weather use. (Down here we mainly like them as you can air condition the shop while using them!)

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

What do you have for kit now?

I went the quick 'n dirty route and bought my kit. Devil Forge 2 burner and an "ebay special" anvil just to get me started with learning hammer control. I've got the kaowool of the forge sprayed down with rigidizer now, waiting for it to set so I can coat with refractory. I'm just soaking up as much knowledge as I can so when I get everything outside and ready to go I'm not wasting working time.

7 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

With the current weather look into a micro forge that can be used in a basement powered

Don't have a basement, otherwise that'd be a solid idea. And the garage is detached, so there's no heat in there. So I've got time to plot out a plan of attack when the weather turns and I have some time to put hammer to steel.