I Forge Iron

ASO (how well will this work?)

Found this bad boy literally buried in my yard and cleaned it up. It's missing a part to work as a vice. How well is the "anvil face" work for a beginner just starting out. It weighs about 70# and the anvil face is 5in x 5in. Thanks for the feedback on if it will work and any adjustments anyone could suggest that could make it work better.

received_2245079055738100.jpeg

received_794214640926943.jpeg

Another point. Terminology is important so we know what folk mean when they use a word, it's a craft jargon and it matters. For example, "ASO" means "Anvil Shaped Object." And you're asking about a Vise, not an ASO. And it's cast IRON not cast steel. Casting steel is an involved and expensive process, expensive enough folks wouldn't be able to afford bench vises. I have a Wilton vise that new costs around $1,200 here in Alaska. It's cast iron, double or triple that for steel. 

I'm not trying to get on your case, I'm only pointing out how terminology can be very important in this or any craft. Don't sweat not knowing something, nobody is born knowing anything, we all started at zero. ;)

Nice vise by the way, bummer about it not working. What's it missing? We might be able to put you on the trail of replacements.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty. It is sadly missing the block that the threads of the outer jaw screw into. If i had that piece and could use it as a bench vice i would be over the moon. It weighs approx 70# and has a very wide travel for the outer jaw. 

Is the concern with the cast iron body structural integrity? Or will the striking surface on top simply dent and divot quickly. 

My other thought for such a large vice if not repairable would be to weld a 12# sledge hammer head between the jaws and make use of the large mass and solid mounting structure of the vice. 

I appreciate any and all advice and correction. I am very new to the craft having just left apartment loving and outside of reading and watching as much as I can I am very much a noob. A very happy place to start from as i know that I know almost nothing.  

Bummer. The issue with cast iron is mechanical shock, it's brittle so hammering on it with any force will break it. You can hammer on that one but not much, straightening nails level of beating. Be aware it's also soft and striking a nail that isn't bent so there's no space between it and the anvil face will dent the vise. 

Check out other metal crafts, fold forming can be done nicely on that face, I bought Deb a 10 lb. ASO and she stole one of my small bench vises for fold forming. It needs a working vise to fold form but you see them for cheap if you keep your eyes open.

Keep your eyes open for an anvil, they're everywhere so long as you don't need a London Pattern anvil, check out the improvised anvil posts here, there are a BUNCH and a couple are really SWEET anvils.

Frosty The Lucky.