I Forge Iron

"How to Forge a Set Hammer" (Steeled face) Video

Finally got the video edited and posted.. 

Made pretty good time start to finish though I was working at a disadvantage.. The bar I had chosen 1"Sq Hot rolled  was to short to get any good upsets out of per heat, and it was to short so it kept getting to hot to hold... Thus taking up a cooling cycle each time I took a reheat.. 

It came out ok.. Nothing to fancy but should be a nice workable tool.. 

I couldn't get one corner weld to blend in.. Ah. .so be it.. 

20190123_154925.jpg

20190123_154942.jpg

20190126_103905.jpg

Thanks, This served 2 functions  give greater mass for the eye and create a better taper leading to the face..

The bar I chose to start with was a bad choice because it had insufficient weight to make the upset easy..

Starting out with a longer bar would have cut the heats down by a 3rd..

I grabbed it without thinking as it was used to make the flatter and handy..

I was having trouble with my phone.  Couldn't keep the keyboard on.  The bar looked a bit short to make upsetting easy. I finally feel like I'm figuring out the why of some basic techniques but I still need to work on the how. 

Thanks for the info and once again great video. I find them easier to understand than most others. 

It was way to short for making the upsetting easy. Got way to hot to hold and no weight.. :) .  In the video I mentioned this in the caption or description..  In the video you can see just how short it was.. The bar got nearly 3.5" shorter from starting point..  with a finished tool length of 4.5" and starting length of 8"

In the video I hold the bar up and with  my cross peen showing where the original marks were for cutoff..   I wasn't able to locate the time stamp.. 

But you can see the center punch mark when I cut it off the parent bar.. 

Extra info I guess..  

Well, happy to answer any questions you have.. Also always open to " Well I'm trying to make this but don't get it".. Kind of thing as well which I find turn into good videos.. 

Thanks. . 

Not supposed to get up to 70 degF till the weekend out here.   Self inflicted injury?   (Hmmm a shop exchange where in the winter folks would come down here and in the summer I could go up there....however my wife has pointed out we are saving on utility bills both winter and summer compared to living in Columbus OH!)

Boy Thomas, how awesome would that be..   Traveling blacksmiths time shares or the like..    Rent or something of the like.. 

Maybe a new calling for you..  50F is tank top and short weather..    Today it must have been 10F when I was out trimming horses...  Neat thing is the body adapts pretty quickly.. 

This morning I started out cold so put the insulated coveralls on..  Got hot quick on the first horse, started sweating.. Got done with the second horse, took off the coveralls, opened all the windows on the way to the next job to dry out,  75% of the way there close the windows, put on the heat full blast..   Put on the old army coat (cotton). 

horse #4 covered in sweat..  Hop in the car with jacket off, open all the windows  80% there, close windows, turn heat on full blast..   2 horses down with Army coat, little sweat ,  drive home with windows down..  come in strip off the jacket and hunker in from of the wood stove.. 

Martial arts tonight.. with coveralls on and no gloves was cold to start out with,,   Went to the local pond of ice practice the wind was blowing when we were first there the hands were cold, the head was cold.. By the time we left,   My hands were warm, head was warm, no sweating..  Perfect.. 

Just took the doggies out no jacket and both head, hands and body were plenty warm..  LOL..   So it only took 12hrs to adapt..   

Tomorrow is a whole new day..  :)      

Thomas, sign me up I love the southwest. I used to live in the high desert outside the Lancaster Palmdale area. 

I woke up it's 2 degrees now with 25-30 mph gusts. Oh yeah almost forgot snowed again too. It was 50  and raining the other day.the Ohio valley anymore seems like there's only two seasons. 90 degrees with 95% humidity or cold and wet. That's enough boo hooing though it could turn into a permanent condition :( 

Pnut,  I love you moniker by the way..   I use it affectionately with my little doggy Alfie.. I call him my little Peanut.. :) 

Same deal here.. 6" of snow on the ground with temps dropping..  I don't mind the cold as much as the snow.. Working outside everyday the snow just adds a factor of wetness with everything that is touched.. 

Thanks people have called me that since I was about 12. I don't mind the cold too much it just makes all my old injuries ache a little more.

People around here don't drive too well in the snow and the streets aren't taken ccare of like they should.  I hope it drove some people into the hotel I work at. It's been slow. When I worked outside the snow did make it just that much more difficult. It'll probably be back in the fifties by the weekend hopefully . Sooner it warms up the sooner I can heat up some metal.

I know a PTree (from Persimmon Tree Forge) down that away (near Louisville IIRC).   I learned to drive in New Jersey and when I was in college in Arkansas I always used to walk to class when we had snow or ice; my housemate once asked why as I knew how to drive in the stuff. "Because all the other folks on the road DON'T know how to drive in it!" was my reply.

We lived 15 years in Central Ohio; didn't know my wife was susceptible to SAD till the first year we moved there and had 90 straight days of gray weather  that winter.  Down here, not a problem!

Lots of cheap land down here; I was just reading about 618 acres for sale at US$850 an acre...(I figured it was at a discount as it was in Texas...)

Thomas, we have different definitions of "Cheap"..    LOL..       500k and change..   Mind you if one had the resources it would be a different story.. 

I still don't know what others do to make so much money..    I always come to the conclusion I'm just doing something wrong..  Maybe I don't complain enough.. LOL.. 

You got any land your way for under US$1000 an acre?  The aggregate is expensive I will admit and I'd want to know the property taxes out that way as Texas tends towards higher ones vs the "under $20 a year for 13 acres" I pay on my land in Arkansas.  Note the lack of mineral rights.  I've worked a bunch of oilwells out that way back in the early '80's.

Certainly not..   Cheap or inexpensive is all perspective..    I went and looked for the Land still up for lottery in Alaska,  

The lottery was for 1acre parcels..  What do you do with a 1acre parcel, land locked in Alaska? 

Taxes just went up substantially...  just shy of 2 Acres went up 800.00 on top of what we pay now.. 

They also built 180 new homes between last year and this year all in the 400k range...  They haven't hired any new teachers..  Or new police, or fireman..  If I ran the house hold the way the government was run.. I'd be out of a home.. 

Yes; when I worked on the ALMA project we would get co-workers from Europe out to small town New Mexico; they would read the local paper and see things like "5 bedroom home on 40 acres for US$60k" and start freaking out---Till we pointed out that it was an hour or two drive to get to a paved road from the house; and then another hour or two to get to a grocery store. It was not on "city" water/sewer/electricity....  Very un European.