I Forge Iron

Softwood charcoal?

I started with hardwood charcoal but have switched to mostly soft wood from pallets. I get fewer fire flies, less ash, and I don't notice any difference in burn rate. If you aren't already making charcoal check out the threads on different methods. Lots of good information here.

The 40# sacks of mesquite charcoal are particularly bad about not being fully charred as they WANT the mesquite smoke flavour to come through rather than the hot clean burn for forge work.

As for softwood charcoal; As I recall it's used in Japanese sword smithing.

And a lot of pallets are all softwood these days---look for the HT stamp it means they were heat treated rather than chemically dosed to prevent insects/diseases being transmitted by them.

Mn iv used hardwood, I typically might start with royal oak and then move to a cowboy charcoal once I have the heat. it sort of depends on brand

My forge is just a narrow channel made of two brick walls only 5 inches wide though and about 14 inches deep so it gets much hotter then a grill type pile, I like to put a large chunk of dry firewood ontop to pack in the charcoal and insulate the stack.

Hardwood is ashy, which is good and bad youl find yourself cleaning your steel/anvil more but its good for welding, bad for forging.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes Definitely!   (It converts to charcoal easier in a smaller form, but you seem to lose more to inter chunk friction when handling it that way,)  As size of charcoal can be modified according to how YOUR forge works and what YOU are forging; I would experiment and see what works best for YOU!