I Forge Iron

Sword ID

George N. M.

About 35-40 years ago I came across a guy who had imported a number of swords from Sudan.  I bought this one (IIRC I paid about $100).  It originally had a typical Sudanese wooden, leather wrapped hilt with a leather disk pommel.  I wanted a more European looking sword and removed the Sudanese hilt, drew out the tang a bit and added a disk pommel with the tang riveted on the top of the pommel

2068613154_swordphotos1_26.19011.thumb.JPG.a1a30198596b5cd937788092ec1e8c56.JPG

Today I would have left it original but I was younger and had different values and priorities.  I have always suspected that it is a European blade which was exported to Africa.  This is because of the double headed eagle engraved on both sides of the blade.  I seriously doubt that a Sudanese craftsman would have used infidel imagery, particularly the Christian cross on the single crown above the eagle.

The double headed eagle has been used by various European countries and houses including the Byzantines, the Hapsburg Austrians, and the Russian Romanovs amongst others.

The blade is 34" long and the cross guard (I guess Sudanese origin) is 6 1/4".  The fuller runs the entire length of the blade.

It appears that the eagle has been on the blade for a long time because the engraving is worn off the high parts of the blade on the edge of the fuller.  It would take a lot of drawing in an out of a scabbard to wear the steel down.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the origin or age of this blade?

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand"

sword photos 1.26.19 012.JPG

sword photos 1.26.19 013.JPG

sword photos 1.26.19 015.JPG

sword photos 1.26.19 016.JPG

Austrian Cuirassier broadsword possibly?   "the blade is straight, 92 cm long, two edged, channelled on both sides (fullered),  The Austrian eagle with a crown is engraved"

"Cut and Thrust Weapons" Eduard Wagner  Several examples with slightly differing lengths and variations on the engraving in addition to the crowned eagle (one was 4 cm wide)

May be 18th century  (1700's !) 

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive this old thread, I only just joined and could not resist.

For sure that was a kaskara from Sudan. It might be quite a significant one. A kaskara with double-headed eagles on it was reportedly in the possession of the Mahdi (here it was described as having holy roman double headed eagle on it but maybe it was this eagle). Large numbers of European blades were imported to Sudan, the vast majority German during the mid 19C. Many have European engravings on them, and some also date to 18C. Quite a few are marked with the running wolf of Passau, but I think that these are also Solingen productions since they widely copied that mark - perhaps you have some proof that there was also some Austrian trade.

Anyhow very nice blade.

Dear Chris,

Thanks for chiming in, late is better than never.  I think that Thomas may be correct.  With some further research I found that Austrian hussars used straight bladed swords, rather than curved sabers, during the Napoleonic wars.  I suspect that during the century of (mostly) peace between Waterloo and Sarajevo these sorts of weapons were excess to requirements and there would have been a surplus market in Sudan and other places in the back of beyond.

No maker's mark, unfortunately.

Probabilities are such that the notion that it belonged to the Mahdi are as remote as any particular silver tetradrachm of Tyre of the 1st century belonged, briefly, to Judas Escariot.  Still, it is a nice thought and adds to the idea that mine was originally an Austria blade circa about 1800 which was then exported to Africa.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Its a really nice example. I don't recall seeing one with the blade like yours - plenty of Kull, wolf marked, and W.Claubergs. Whilst I am sure not really the Mahdi's, it may well have been owned by someone important. I believe Ali Dinar the last Sultan of Darfur owned hundreds of personal swords. These would often be family heirlooms, and a good blade cost the price of a young riding camel :)
So you have a fine and rare example I would say.

The nice thing about it compared modern replicas is that it is surprising light and maneuverable in the hand.  Many modern replicas and reproductions are basically steel clubs with edges.  I'd give you a weight but it is still at my old house 150 miles away.  Our moving of possessions has been slowed by covid.  Once I have my hands on it and a suitable scale available I will weigh it and post the result.

Noblemen often owned armories of weapons and armor to outfit new recruits to there armies or armed bands or retainers.

I have always been pleased with it and even though as a collector I probably shouldn't have re-hilted it as someone on a sword forum pointed out, blades were often re-hilted throughout their lives and that I had done a sympathetic job.  It's also nice to know that I have a "real" working sword that has earned it's living and not some replica made in a workshop in Pakistan or India. 

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."