I Forge Iron

Help blue flames are coming out of my forge

acronin

Im wondering if its just the design of the forge because no matter what i change ie the presure or air flow the flames still come out at different intensity... And sorry if you cant see the flames. A night time picture would show them better

20190126_102606_HDR.jpg

20190126_102621_HDR.jpg

20190126_102711_HDR.jpg

20190126_102645_HDR.jpg

Your burners are running well enough to raise that forge into high orange range, which tells me that they are a good design.

What is wrong is that you have them choked way back open them up all the way, and try again; you should find that their disks need to be at least one-inch away from the burner opning's edge. The wing nuts are there to allow you to come back to the same opening amount when starting the burner up, so once you are satisfied with performance, leave them in place, and only lower the burner's discs (choke plates) closed during shut down.

Only after you have run the forge long enough to understand the burners, and what you are looking for in an exhaust flame, should you fine tune the whole forge, by removing some of the ceramic fiber wadding around its burners (if that is even needed). Look through the Burners 101 thread if you don't know what to look for in a burner flame.

Once you are certain that your forge is fine tuned as much as you can get it, I suggest you buy some Plistex and seal up the wadding, for your health. Get back to us with any further questions, or just to let us know how things turned out for you; other purchasers will be watching your progress :)

I think the lack of adequate directions on commercial forges are ridiculous!

Its definatly a good forge that wasnt even at full power...The help is greatly appreciated i will try what you said to do and i will post again with my results. im already enjoying the forging process verry much being that im already a knife maker. starting forging is opening my skill set to more levels...one last quesion on  the regulator that i have what are the units its reading and

Good question; I would look on a UK site for the answer, because Asian imports are usually made compatiple for their market. Its only in the last year that these forges started coming with USA compatible regulator fittings. We used to just cut off their regulators at the hose and replace them with USA regulators. 

Welcome aboard Acronin, glad to have you. Where on Earth do you cast a shadow? If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many IFI members live within visiting distance. An awful lot of answers have a strong regional component. A smith living near you may know what the readings on your gauge mean regarding burner performance. 

I'd just recommend you adjust pressure by eye and ear, all gauges really do is improve repeatability of forge heat. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Looks like the gauge indicates in MPa , megapascal. 1 MPa =10 bar if I googled correctly. So yours is in the 0 to 6 bar range. Which is overkill but gives you room to work in. (I run between 0.5 and 2 bar for 2 * 3/4 T-burner) I will leave bar to psi conversion to you.

I actually typed in the mpa into google and it gave me a conversion for megapascal to psi... Wich my .1 mpa is about 14 psi. Oh and frosty I cast a shadow in western new york...you guys have been extremely helpfull 

Lol little of topic but did anyone notice the truck photo bombing 

16 hours ago, acronin said:

Its definatly a good forge that wasnt even at full power...The help is greatly appreciated i will try what you said to do and i will post again with my results. im already enjoying the forging process verry much being that im already a knife maker. starting forging is opening my skill set to more levels...one last quesion on  the regulator that i have what are the units its reading and

I'm stoked that you like this forge, because I have one on its way. Have you had to tinker with the connections at all, or are they good to go out of the box? Some if the reviews I read said that because it's a European design, it needs an adapter for US tanks. 

It came with everything you need all you have to do is apply the supplyed rigidizer attach the hose to both the burner and regulator with the supplyed hose clamps and the regulator does come with the adaptor i didnt have to buy anything it even came with a paint brush to apply the rigidizer... I would recomend putting some petroleum jelly or somekind of lube on the burner pipe that the hose connects to too help it slide on easy...its a very tite fit 

Maxwellb, I would recomend getting a tank larger then 20lbs it lost power after continued use. When i started it back up the next day it was bck to full power...i think the tank got two cold while in use and lost pressure 

All in all i was very impressed with the quality of the forge and the thought that went into making it ready to use out of the box 

Yeah, I've been looking at getting a 40# tank, but the issue would be transport once it's filled. The only vehicle I have that could be sufficient to transport would be a conversion van, and I could secure it in place with ratchet straps, but some places don't allow you to transport a tank in the same space as a passenger. So I'd need to research that a bit more.

I'd also love to get a 100# tank, but absolutely no way to transport that upright, and home propane delivery is 2x the cost of taking it somewhere to fill.

Options and decisions all around.

I have a 100# tank that I use a lot, and the best way I found to fill it is using a wet tap on our house propane tank.  I can run it back and forth from the shop to the tank on a (large) hand truck.   

Of course, next step will be to plumb a line tapping directly into the big tanks...  or heck, get my own 500 Ga. tank for the shop...  Our propane dealer frequently has good recycled tanks for sale...

Thinking about this... would 500 Ga. really be enough?

This may end badly... for my wallet!

Short term strap your tank in a water bath say a galvy wash tub or plastic tote; strapped so it stays upright, if it falls over in use it can start squirting liquid propane. That can be BAD on toast if your burners aren't intended and tuned to run on liquid.

I run a 40 lb. at demos and a 100 lb. in the shop. The couple times I've run all 4 burners on the shop forge it'll start to slush up the 100 in about 1.5 - 2 hrs. 

If anybody wants to know why no reputable propane dealer will fill a tank in a closed vehicle check out the "Fatal Grams" on the subject. There are a couple pics of a shredded Econoline van and a damaged house where a guy stored a couple tanks over night. It blew when he opened the driver's door, evidently there was a spark when the dome light came on.

Frosty The Lucky.

I used to work for U-Haul and we'd only fill 20# tanks, and only if you had a support ring base or something to guarantee the tank remained upright. 

There was also a storage building in Wisconsin that caught fire. One of the units had a propane tank in it, which was against policy. When the firefighters were checking for hot spots they found the remnants of the tank. They said it looked like someone peeled it like a banana.

I guess if I go big, I'll need to rent a truck to transport. Luckily I live close to places that fill, so I wouldn't be spending too much. 

But I'll look into the two 20# tanks connected.

Funny you should say that, Frosty. I had a pickup many years ago that was costing more to keep alive than it was worth. 1990 Chevy C1500. I loved that truck, but it was time to send it to the boneyard in the sky. Now I drive a little sedan. I've never had issues transporting the 20# tanks I use for my turkey deepfry, but they can stand up in the trunk no problem and it's a legit straight single mile from house to gas station I exchange at, so there's little motion to cause it to rock or tip.

I'm just concerned with the fact that I'm starting out and don't have the timing of things down, and will be wasting fuel. So I guess it's better for me to waste in a small tank that's easier for me to refill/replace than it is for a big boy that takes more hoops to jump through to refill. And I really don't want to spend anything extra on a new tank right now. So that's a "down the line" item for me to worry about, for when the things I make don't look like something that fell off a car crash.

We sent the old 3/4 ton '86 Chev to the crusher a couple years ago though I didn't love it it did the job while it lasted. It was a WAY better plow truck than the '11, 1500 we have now, that thing has a worse turn radius than the dump trucks I used to drive. 

Falling over in the trunk isn't much if any hazard, it's the slow leakers that kill people. I won't do exchange tanks, too many people just HAVE to reef the tank valve off and it galls the seats and they start leaking. I stand right next to the person filling my tanks and turn them off myself. They're precision valves and don't leak until a few, "if hard enough is good then HARDER is better," crank on them. A couple times and you have to crank on them to keep them from leaking and that works for a while then no matter how hard you twist they leak. A down side is the odorant they use stinks everything up so it's hard to tell the outside of the tank from a leak. 

You're going to burn a lot more fuel learning than you will when you become proficient, normal, normal. Before the accident I could make a leaf finial coat hook with twist, start to finish at a demo while maintaining patter and describing what I was doing and why. Took about 7-8 minutes. Without distraction under 6 minutes even less if I used a power wire wheel. 

A student would watch me do a slow demo then spend on average an hour getting close and all the while the forge was running. I doubt they'd be faster without me: encouraging them, reminding them of steps, pointing out errors and answering questions.

High fuel consumption, solid or gas is just one price of admission to the craft, we've all paid it. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

I plan to buy a 100lb tank at my local tractor suply in newyork i believe they even fill them there so i will ask about regulations there im sure they would know as far as my areas transportation rules... And as far as fuel consumption im sure ill go through alot while im learning