I Forge Iron

my Post vise collection

Teddybo

So i fell In love with post vises about five months ago when I bought my first one.And only a month and a half before that I had gone into bench vices and started collecting them yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah who is you and only a month and a half before that I had gone into bench vices and started collecting them But found price is extremely high and got competition that just so I came across my first post face covered and grime and dirt having no idea what I just got or even knowing whether to what to look for  about my first one which was a 5 1/2 inch Colombian in what I now know to be in immaculate condition soon after another  And another it seems like every time I’d sell some stuff for make some money from yard art or selling welding cylinders all of a sudden a couple great deals or come back to back and instead of buying a plasma cutter come home with 4 vices   . . My wife is the patient woman thank  God and enjoys long road trips so she was half thinking I’m crazy but enjoying it just as much as I do cleaning them up finding out who made them doing the research and just Finding  imperfections and  how to fix them how to do this and going on a long road trips for it  is something I haven’t done for the last two years since getting out of the army but this got me out of the house so she was happy to tagalong I have now in the last 4 1/2 -5 months owned over 22 post vises -I’ll drive anywhere with in 150 miles to buy one at the right price but on that note every single one that I sold for what I got it for or maybe plus gas that I spent getting it  so no way have I try to take away good deals just to make a profit I’ve sold three I regret the hell out of now I have repaired over 10 ,4 where my own in the six other people  Who came to buy bench vices for me I asked if I would restore for them they’re ols ll post vices .  So I currently believe still have 10 ranging from 5 inch to 7 inch and one 3 1/2 inch one that I traded a bench vice for and is it in just about brand new condition  

5” iron city 

5 1/4” mystery 

5 3/4” 1905 trenton owned by Yosemite valley rail road that  started in 1908 and  ran from Yosemite to Merced - I bought in Merced and  it wasn’t until I brought it home and cleaned it up real good that I discovered the stamps yvrr 

5 3/4” Peter Wright  with all the lettering on the screw box legible and clear as well as you can see part of the insignia in the middle which according my research means it was not sent to America but Canada or Australia 

6” Peter Wright Lettering not quite as clean as the first one but the insignia more visible but all Peter right  solid box is readable

6” Indian  with part of Indian chief readable as well as part of the head 

6.5” columbian Went up to buy in Chico right after the fires and ended up staying three days to help out.Mounting plate is a little beat up but the only real bad part about this one was that the rivets that held the bracket for the moving jaw I need re-riveting and I’ll have to look into how to do this because they’re very very loose

7” Indian amazing conditions chief Indian 150  clearly stamped into the jaw as well as part of the Chiefs head with 19 in the background 

7” iron city I ended up driving right back the next day pass for Syd to Fresno to pick this one up because the price was too good to pass up it is in fair condition the screw didn’t have a ton of life left in it and  some one  used the welded  with with for this battery I was all over it but it still in the leg is been cut short but it’s still amazing find

So that’s a little back history on my post vise love  I have one I have yet to a Identify The one in the second to last picture if you could help me in anyway shape or form that be awesome it I’ll post some more pictures of it tomorrow it has 62 1/2 stamped on the jaw and some letters that I haven’t fully made out And what looks like a cigar pipe on the mount the bracket for the moving jaw

0F2C555E-D594-48FD-BB60-735918A0A740.jpeg

6AD06AF2-7D7C-4F94-BA5C-BC7791BCF1B7.jpeg

4F09C5CC-4461-4590-AF54-DB11845F2431.jpeg

8BE12556-26E1-4E97-9F6C-F310CACB87EC.jpeg

6776B7CD-EEAC-4096-B6C6-C211CEB72C3C.jpeg

0610165A-01D7-4A3D-A99F-813F3235D1C1.jpeg

BD15A991-7C6C-4920-A965-5799DB699686.jpeg

3235ADB6-E6DA-4C45-AFCF-F8A4F92852DE.jpeg

547D3FE8-9AD1-42AA-B68C-0124D5675C88.jpeg

4A28CC85-8426-456D-B645-9FCA237A47B9.jpeg

I have come across a few other guys who collect or happen to come upon frequently post vises . One guy mainly collectors Indians and is out of Chico / paradise area and has a huge 8” one he said and didn’t seem interested in selling . I got one of mine less than 15 miles from home Out in San Francisco. The other one the seven was pure luck as I figured it for a columbian based on the craigslist add. The guy also had a never used 170lb  fisher anvil and something like 40 new hardies and tongs . He didn’t know how to price the vise or hardies or tongs and I just said I paid 280$ for my other 7” post vise but depending on thrcondition of the screw threads wouldn’t mind going up to 325$ and told him I normally pay 15-20 for tongs and 10-15 for hardies so I try to buy as many to gswhen I can for a good price when I buy post vises cause back in sf I usually charge 5$ more and am still the cheapest and it helps pay for the gas .

i consider reasonable cost im willing to pay 100$ for 4” and smaller125$ for41/2 “ and 150$ for 5”-5.5” 175 $for 5 3/4” 200-300 for 6” depending on manufacturers especially Peter Wright their allot harder to find on he west coast . And I would say reasonable cost I’d pay for 6.5-7” would be around 400$ and 8+ I’d pay500-700$ depending on condition make and size

I’ve been talking to a gentleman who’s got a number 7 fisher double screw parallel vise who I’m going to offer 700$ anshopefully be able to get it for less than 1000$ I actually camein contact with him when I saw a post vise he had for sale st way to high a price and I respectfully emailed him letting him know and why I felt that way and even identified the manufacturer of the post vise for him , well he asked me what the fisher was worth and I told him as high as 2000$ and that I’m very interested in it but don’t want to make a offer until ihad some more cash .

58B981D1-FCAE-4E8F-88D7-A0DEC6902DDA.png

I just sold 4 last month for 100-150 $

3 1/2”,4”,4 1/2” and 5 1/4”

Chelonia  where are you located at ?

I'm in Massachusetts. The last vise I went to look at was a 4" for 100$. Seemed like a decent deal, until I found that the leg was broken just beneath the pivot. The handle was also badly bent. The stub of the leg had been jammed into a pipe, but it really didn't seem like it would hold up to much.

It seems patience is key with this sort of thing. I'm sure I'll find a good deal eventually.

Yeah the one thing I got going for me was the gold rush and the fact that there were so many gold mines out in the Sacramento Hills as well as also all along the Yosemite mountains  down to Fresno  and that I got medically retired from the army two years ago so I have a lot of free time on my hands and search usually 2 a day  .

Now all the prices I’ve listed what I’d be willing to pay but I haven’t paid what I think any of my vises  were worth at the average price that they go for like normally I’d expect a  6 inch post vise to go for a normal price of four 350 to 450 and on eBay up till 600 depending and both of my 7 inch post vises I think I got a good deal if Not a steal on . Now I have just about liquidated all the bench vises that collected over a two month span I had  a couple reeds 3 1/2”/5” 3 Charles Parkers 2x59 and one amazing 974 I picked up for 20$ by accident when I went to buy  tool boxes and welding equipment up in Napa , a couple Morgan’s I rescued from the local scrap yard where I have found 4 columbians vises and 35 c clamps from all American made drop forged up to 6” , 1 prentiss and holland and five or six Colombian I still have  4 1/2 inch swivel base and one 6 inch stationary bench vise I still need to make new jaw insert and sell the larger one 

944CA721-67B8-4E76-AA57-E6447F0AAFF0.jpeg

B78E60BB-E260-4326-8B7A-ABCF640BE03A.jpeg

727FCE9A-D903-428D-85E0-8086B7F6AC5D.jpeg

05606D80-5ABA-491E-901C-6E01A52A6AB7.jpeg

My rule of thumb is up to $10 per inch of jaw width. I picked up a beautiful Columbian out of a wood shop for $40 recently. All of my other vises were $50 on down to free. The one I should have called in sick to work and went and got recently was an 8" for $80. Looked excellent in the pictures.

Well man do I wish those where the prices where I live , I’m still on the hunt of a 8”. I just drove the Reno to pick up a 120 lb columbian anvil . The day before my shoulder surgery lol only drove that far cause it was 250$ Are they normaly do Pitted ?

image.jpg

Teddy, almost all of my vises came from around the Bay Area, Sacramento, and Central Valley, I lived in Fairfield for almost 40 years. Vises were used by many other types of businesses, and are pretty common compared to other items. My last one came out of a wood shop. I probably could have got it for less, as they told me if I had not bought it, they were going to donate it to the thrift store.  I spotted one the other day while driving around that appears to be unused, that I need to inquire about.

The one I would have at least liked a picture of was one my Dad saw. It had been mounted to an oak tree up in Lincoln CA, and over the years the tree grew around the fixed jaw. Still worked, but the trunk was the back jaw now.

As a side note, prices will stay high as long as people are willing to pay them. Econ 101.

Lately it seems with the help of forged in fire all prices have gone up . But I haven’t found anyone that was not informed of how much they go for. seems like I can find a bench vise someone sells cheap but not a post vise.  Then again I don’t get out that often I I have PTSD have issues sometimes feeling safe in public so I tend to stay to my shop and try to teach myself something or learn something new .  Currently it’s driving me xxxxxxxx crazy having my right arm not able to use it since I just had shoulder surgery four days ago and they reattached my bicep muscle that’s been ripped for last two years  ever since I had my shoulder replacement surgery 

The internet effect: most people can check things out on the net and not pay any attention to location, condition, brand, or other details---and then want to know why their broken and battered Vulcan is not worth US$6+ a pound like that mint condition Peddinghaus they saw listed.

Then someone who knows a bit about anvils comes along and thinks "If they are getting $6+ for an abused Vulcan; my HB in good using condition *must* be worth more!"

Few casual sellers check out the difference between the asking price and the selling price and how long it took to get from one to another.

I remember back in the 90's when I was asking prices in  a low price area and folks started quoting ebay prices to me. I would ask them why they just didn't sell it on ebay and they said they didn't want the hassle of listing it, taking remote payments and prepping and shipping it.  They never seemed to figure out that the higher prices had those factors built into them and people in equipment poor areas were willing to pay as it was cheaper than driving 1500 miles each way to buy at a lower price.

That’s my favorite, when people ask eBay prices for local purchases. I try to explain to them also that eBay you have a market of millions of people. You don’t have that market locally, and the more remote you are, the least you can expect to get. Like in the bay area, it’s going to go for just about top dollar because you got people that are all crammed in here and don’t have the free time to go drive 60 miles in each direction, whereas I don’t mind driving. My wife’s car gets great gas mileage and driving on the road, that’s why whenever I sell them down in the Bay Area I sell them for pretty much what I got them for plus gas. I’m not in it to make a profit or a business out of it, I just like knowing if I want to buy something that I can put up a couple things up for sale at a fair price so it actually will sell quick, and then I turn two smaller post vises into a larger one. What i do got going for me is everyone wants an anvil but no one knows what a post vise is because you don’t need a post vise to make a knife.  

• 2 months later...

Ya have a very good point their ! I was recently educated on my ignorance to many uses for post vises. And your correct  , and id add a true anvil with its great rebound helps reducing the amount you have to swing your hammer but even mild steel plate you would get same result to a degree , and rhe horn  and a hardy whole can be made out of mild steel as well . So to date I have not seen or heard of any  “post vise shaped objects “ So it stands a tool yet to be improved upon