I Forge Iron

Tripod forge stand

Terry Humphries

I have a smaller propane forge, about 30 pounds, that I'm going to build a portable stand for. I plan on taking it to meetings of my local blacksmith group. It'll have detachable legs and I'm consider a 3 legged tripod design with 2 in front and 1 in the rear. I'm thinking that be easier to stabilize on uneven surfaces. ie gravel, dirt, etc.

Any reason not to use a tripod design?

Tripod is fine---at issue is when the center of gravity gets close or outside the footprint of the feet if things go wrong.  A rectangle from 4 feet has a larger (twice the) footprint area from the same leg  "splay" as a triangle:  It is a hair more stable but only in certain directions of tip.  However, the benefits are not all that great in actual practice and a tripod will always sit without the small wobble of a 4 legged system.

That mouthful just means make sure the tripod foot-splay is adequate for dumb stuff--because dumb stuff happens.

2 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Office chairs have 5 wheels for a reason, lol. That said tripods work well on uneven ground and 4 sucks, because they rock. 

You will have to decide if 4 legged chairs suck or rock ... can't be both :)

An additional idea would be the inclusion of the ability to anchor the tripod.  On softer ground one could use one of the corkscrew-style ground anchors used for tying off a dog leash, or on harder ground something you can set some weight on- this could help reduce the overall splay without compromising safety.  The anchor point would ideally be located at the center of the triangle.

Though now that I think about it, on soft ground you could also use tent pegs in the feet to keep it from moving, too.

Since you're only accessing the forge from the front, have the two front legs in line with (or slightly forward of) the front of the forge and splayed widely out to the sides, and then have one leg projecting some way out the back. The front legs will keep the forge from tilting to the side, and a sandbag or a stake on the back leg will keep it from tilting forward. 

I don't like tripods since there are two directions that it is much less stable, though it is good for uneven ground.  As everyone says: If you want to take it places just make sure the splay of the feet are wide.  I had an old forge of mine mounted on top of a hand truck (or a hand cart, or dolley...don't know what they are called).  I put a shelf up near the handle, the tank was strapped below.  Just tilt the whole thing and cart it wherever.  It was great for demo's.