I Forge Iron

Getting cement out of a forge

Farmall

Get an air chisel or hammer drill.  If it's cement it shouldn't be an issue, if it's true refractory then you might have some trouble depending on the variety,  but then again you may want to consider whether the addition is actually impacting your ability to use it.

I second the suggestion to fire it up (slowly) to drive off any trapped moisture, then crank it up to see if it can take the heat.

Well, I already have both a coal and gas forge, so was really thinking about cleaning this up and making it look new again and not use it.  I have only seen a couple of these tabletop forges.

Thought about the air hammer and chisel, but was concerned about cracking the cast iron.

Call a concrete company and ask about removing it chemically. I just deleted a, frankly too dangerous to post here, method that won't effect the iron at all. But it's just too potentially dangerous to put in the hands of folk who might not be the really careful type. REALLY CAREFUL is the key phrase.

Frosty The Lucky.

33 minutes ago, Farmall said:

Thought about the air hammer and chisel, but was concerned about cracking the cast iron.

Then I'd see about drilling some shallow holes to weaken it, then go at it lightly with the air chisel. Unless it's keyed to the cast iron in a lot of places you should only need to get a few big chunks out to clear the lot of it.  Even though cast iron is fairly brittle,  it's still more ductile than cement,  take it easy with the chiseling and there should not be an issue with it cracking. 

Thanks Frosty and Hojpoj.   

Frosty reminded me of what I had forgotten from my youth about chemistry.  I checked, and now there is a cement dissolver sold by, among others, Home Depot, that is non acid and biodegradable.  I may get some and, after drilling some holes, pour it in and see.what happens.  Thank you both for jarring those brain cells.

Would soaking the cement in water and subsequently freezing the forge do the job.

Water expands when it freezes and that might cause cracking. The cracks in the cement could then be levered to break chunks of the cement up and off.

Just sayyin',

SLAG.

I would take to the edges with a cold chisel, lightly at first to see how it goes. It may crack easily and come away in sheets. If it doesn't you could back off and try something else. Doesn't look like it has bonded all that well, and the cast looks pretty robust.

Nice antique by the way. Let us know how you get on, and please post a pic of the restored piece.