I Forge Iron

Burns.

Sly

Friendly reminder that solid fuels like to stick to scale, and in some cases fuse to it. you can remove scale with a brush and maybe a little flux to break it off but if you're like me doing drawing work into barstock you might just like to sheer it off with a mighty blow.

I think its pretty typical to get sparked in this line of work from welding or solid fuels so, How burns work:

Your body has a defense mechanism in your immune system, your body (specifically your white blood cells) will drain water from the surrounding area to cool off and replenish the water in the damaged area, and it is an ongoing effect which is why a burn and even bruising has that yellow area around it, thats the area that got leeched... Most of you folks are probably hard workers so you might brush the embers or hot matter off yourself ignore it and continue working.

but even a mild sunburn can cause dehydration sickness, the first responder choice to a burn victim is to give an IV not treat the wound first.

so simple practice, if you get sparked just take a sip of water and stay hydrated, you wont get sick or as easily fatigued if you do.

Applying creams and salves to a fresh burn is actually not a good idea in general, if it is small and minor (like small forge scale touching your skin) it's not likely to matter one way or the other, your body will have done most of the important work before you can apply the salve.

However, for more serious burns a salve/"sealant"often does more harm than good. A minor burns kit in your shop first aid is a must for us, but in a pinch, cold clean water to remove any remaining heat first, then hydrate, then an very thin antibiotic ointment (polysporin for burns, or similar) then go see a doctor.

Burns can get serious very quickly, and you really really dont want to deal with an infected burn. I almost had to have a hand amputated due to an infected 3rd degree electrical burn. I had a burn kit and the proper training to treat it.

well I suppose thats why I mentioned getting sparked, it does drain a small amount of water for every time it happens.

the worst burns iv had were something like welding temp metal I left on my arm for a few seconds(maybe like a one two count?) and got a small hole, which I just ripped out the damaged flesh with my fingernail and then coated it with wax to prevent it from being infected. healed without a scar...

I think the worst burns iv ever had go to steam burns though, I have alot of skin scarring from those.

the reason I recommended beeswax is it will easily absorb into the skin and soften it, makes cleaning later easy.

When ever possible avoid burns or being injured in the first place. If in doubt, then do not do it. If you must, or insist, on being injured, call for help (intervention), call emergency services, or call a film crew before you start.  It will provide them a head start on getting to where you are, and they can bring the proper equipment for the rescue.  

Personal responsibility:

Make a list of all the body parts you can do without, eyesight, hearing, left pinkie toe etc. It is YOUR PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY to protect everything not on that list. 

There are several threads on the site discussing burns and how to both avoid them treat them. What is posted is personal opinion and is NOT medical advice. For medical advice, consult a doctor.