Sign in to follow this  
Benona  blacksmith

Hammer handle ?'s

I found this hammer in a box of garage stuff my friend gave me and I need to find a handle for it. Would anyone know where I could get a handle like this?

Resized_20190109_191847.jpeg

Resized_20190109_185655.jpeg

Resized_20190109_185700.jpeg

I was really hoping to just buy a handle. I work a lot and what spare time I have I wanna be hammering instead of making a handle. I do have access to some black locust but like I said I really wanna just buy one. If I was left to have to make a handle it would just sit around and I would never get to it 

Amazon sells handles. That eye looks round, so you will probably have to do some fit-up work, no matter what you buy. I have found handles at both big box, and Mom & Pop hardware stores alike.

Gook luck,

Robert Taylor

Unless you're talking mass production by a company that's making these by the thousand (and therefore can afford to have handles and heads made to the same shape), fitting a new handle is always going to involve some degree of fettling.

There probably is a "plug and play" solution for that handle configuration; however it make several times as long and involve a long wait for shipping to discover it and get it to you.  Take it to a good Mom and Pop hardware and get the closest they have and use your farrier's rasp to adjust it to fit!

Maybe you can find someone with the time to fit or make a handle for you.

There is a thread,  (probably many threads),  that discusses handle configuration  (shape),  in great depth.

Frosty's distinct hammer style was discussed at length in that thread.

Perhaps someone on this site can help me to dig it out. (I've got A.D.H.D.  which makes mucking through a lot of data a real chore,  requiring great energy and effort, Sorry about that.),

I use the following tools for shaping hammer handles.  A draw knife , &  sometimes a Japanese saw rasp, a course file, sand paper, linseed oil.

You can do most of it by, only, using a knife.

Using those tools,  I make short work of tool handling for a custom hammer etc. ...

SLAG.

I will dig through the handles I have and see what I can come up with. Thank you for the help and suggestions. I would like to see the thread you talk about. If anyone could find it I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you! I will read through it. After digging through my box of hammer handles I found this. I think I can make this work with minimal time. I wonder what it was made for. Any ideas? Resized_20190110_215113.thumb.jpeg.5db5168a07aad7043bc247af8fbdf565.jpeg

A Hammer handle is wood, generally. Cut up a pallet that is made from a hard-wood and make a handle the size you would like. Otherwise, take a branch about the correct size and trim to fit. K.I.S.S.

Neil