I Forge Iron

Decided to take the plunge.

Tommygun

Greetings from Arkansas,

I have been wanting to get into blacksmithing for almost a decade now but between the moving around in the army and the past several years of raising four young monsters I just never found the time. Things are starting to settle down though and my current employment has afforded me some unique opportunities in both time available and the ability to use equipment that isn't my own to pursue my interest in moving metal around. Built a propane tank forge a week ago with a T burner and acquired a chunk of RR for an anvil until I can make the wife something that lets her see the light of this beautiful skill and gives me the greenlight on spending more. So far I have made a RR spike seax (because that's what it ended up looking like) and some flat jaw quickie tongs. Impressive right? I've spent some time creeping around the forums trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible and am grateful for all the detailed information I have found so far. Here's to a lifelong obsession.

Brandon Thompson

Welcome Brandon.  There's so much good information here to read.  I know I just read and read for months before joining.  Your forge and railroad track will get you started.  What has won my wife's heart over is all the useful hooks and things I've made for the house.  My first knife was a size of kitchen knife that she needed.  She really sees the usefulness of this craft and hobby.  When I do all the cabinet pulls I think it will just be the icing on the cake.  

MC,

Absolutely what I  think will win her over. I have been looking up candle stands, furniture for drawers, and other household items. Plan on making a kitchen knife that can split an atom or at least her heart.  It's good to hear my struggle is not my own. I have almost convinced her leatherworking is her lot in life, we will see how that goes. There is an awful lot of antlers for handles and hides for leather going to waste in NW Arkansas.

Welcome Brandon... One of the best ways to learn is to attend meetings of ABANA affiliated clubs. There are quite a few members here in NW Arkansas. You might look into attending our next meeting of the BOA NW Chapter in Fayetteville this coming Saturday visitors are always welcome. If interested PM arkie for directions.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/187-blacksmith-organization-of-arkansas/

Just for fun, this is the short week long journey so far (In no particular order). I have learned about a hundred things i didn't want to do and maybe three I did.

1222181146.jpg

1223181155.jpg

1546808398313.jpg

1546818441623.jpg

1546721111303.jpg

4 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Welcome Brandon... One of the best ways to learn is to attend meetings of ABANA affiliated clubs. There are quite a few members here in NW Arkansas. You might look into attending our next meeting of the BOA NW Chapter in Fayetteville this coming Saturday visitors are always welcome. If interested PM arkie for directions.

I saw a meeting was coming up this weekend, trying to convince the ol lady to attend. Are they typically kid friendly? Thanks for your time Irondragon.

I apologize for the image dump. Not a computer savvy individual. More of a 6'2" 300lb smash things kind of fellow. I await your scrutiny.

17 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

We have been talking about heading down there. Was wanting to know if it was a family oriented at all? If so we will gladly come. Been wanting to eat at the Catfish Hole for some time bwahahaha.

Our meetings are family oriented and kids are welcome. However keep in mind a blacksmith shop is a dangerous place and children must be supervised at all times. Depending on their age and maturity level, we encourage youngsters to participate and get a taste of hammering on hot steel. They must have appropriate clothing and shoes, no flip flops or synthetic clothing. We supply eye protection and ear plugs are encouraged. Usually the hosting member will supply some sort of lunch (may be beans & corn bread):)

Look forward to seeing ya there if we don't get an ice storm.

Randy

Randy is my name Irondragon Forge & Clay is my logon (name is from our business my wife & I had before retiring). Ma can visit & observe or hammer on hot steel if she wants. If you are planning to join you can pay the membership then. We have family membership dues. I suggest bringing chairs.

Tommy, I will PM you the location directions. We don't publish them publicly for privacy reasons. Since there is a good chance that winter weather will be upon Fayetteville, your location in Bella Vista will give you a good idea of travel conditions.

Tommy, I will PM you the location directions. We don't publish them publicly for privacy reasons. Since there is a good chance that winter weather will be upon Fayetteville, your location in Bella Vista will give you a good idea of travel conditions.