I Forge Iron

Anthracite JABOD Forge

However now I'm also confused because I've seen several recommendations on distance between tuyere and top of forge.  Generally with 3/4" pipe.  I've seen a couple posts saying 2". JHCC suggested on here 2 to 3", and the chart you referenced if i'm reading it right suggests 4".  

11 minutes ago, cmbaker82 said:

However now I'm also confused because I've seen several recommendations on distance between tuyere and top of forge.  Generally with 3/4" pipe.  I've seen a couple posts saying 2". JHCC suggested on here 2 to 3", and the chart you referenced if i'm reading it right suggests 4".  

anvil is talking about the amount of burning fuel under the workpiece, not the height between the tuyere and the top of the forge. If you have an inch and a bit below the tuyere, 3/4" of the tuyere itself, and then 2-3" of fuel to the top of the forge, that gives you about 4-5" of fire under the workpiece. Remember that a certain amount of air will circulate around the bottom of the firebowl -- even below the tuyere -- unless that space is completely filled with clinker.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Do you know why the heart (fireball) wasn't where you thought it was going to be? At least HOPE your next mistake is a different one! ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm inclined to think i put it there. That was the third attempt at getting it started. I'm thinking when I was getting irritated not making the boy scouts proud, I dug out a bit to much and possibly to far to the side to start over.

3 hours ago, JHCC said:

Okay, now go make a different mistake!

I can guarantee I will... How else will I learn from them? :D

Fire too close to the wood is the obvious answer. Getting frustrated and digging too far is a common reason. That's why I like Charles' construction method of using a layer of brick as the final barrier against wood. I've found red brick works just fine below the tuyere pipe. Not so good as a backer with the blast hitting it across from the tuyere. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Are you talking dearth of the top of the tuyere I’d below the hearth or the ID of they tuyer? 4” is about right for a 1” ID tuyer using coal. A 4” ID tuyere is much deaper and is way inefecent for heating 1”- stock, bit just right for heating 6” stock for forging anvils.

Jerry, I melt fire brick so red brick is just fine across from the tuyere, lol

17 hours ago, JHCC said:

anvil is talking about the amount of burning fuel under the workpiece, not the height between the tuyere and the top of the forge

Correct. From clinker ball/ grate to the top of the firepot, not the top of the forge should be ~4". Then 2" of coke from the top of your firepot over your iron. This will give you a reducing/neutral fire around your work.

Also, to clarify, I use a cast iron firepot with air coming in from the bottom, not a sideblast. 

I havent measured the diameter of my tuyer in a long time. Its somewhere around 1_1/4" to1_1/2"

Yup, 4" diameter would be huge!