Sign in to follow this  
Nigiel

Has anyone tried untreated mulch/wood chips as forge fuel?

Has anyone tried using untreated wood mulch/ wood chips for fuel. If the right size they pile up in a mound pretty well, but I would like to ask around  to see if anyone else has tried it first before I do it myself.. 

Just like you are really using coke as a fuel when you use coal in the forge; you are really using charcoal in the forge when you burn wood.

One issue with charcoal is the increase in sparks over coal; this is GREATLY increased using wood chips.  Also there is an effective size for charcoal; wood chips pass through it faster than wood chunks.

If it is what you have; use it but it won't work as effectively as chunk charcoal.  I recently linked a video of a japanese swordsmith using a charcoal forge to the improvised anvils thread---take a look at whet size fuel he is using.

So if i have access to both wood chunks(rough size 3-4 long and 1-2 inch in diameter) and wood chips, would the wood chunks perform better? 

Yes and work better if you make the charcoal elsewhere and use the charcoal in your forge---less smoke in your face and less heat on you too and less sparks.