I Forge Iron

My first forge..jabod..kinda

My sons, dad, and I have wanted to try smithing for a number of years..so for Christmas I got them all hammers and tong blanks from Ken's Custom Iron and my wife surprised me with a r.r. track anvil made by one of our friends.  So I have been reading and learning as much as I can on this site and this is what i came up with to get started.  Its 1x6 pine with plywood base on an old bbq cart.  Fill is some old adobe bricks and cat litter.  The fire pit is 6x8" and 3.5" deep.  I got a bag of anthracite coal from TS since its walking distance from my house.  It's not perfect but we're having a blast and learning lots.  Thanks to everyone on this forum for all the knowledge sharing!

20190104_184126.jpg

20190104_182821.jpg

20190105_160611.jpg

20190105_160624.jpg

20190105_135417(0).jpg

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Definitely read THAT first, it really helps. The forge looks good, how about a pic of the fire trench? Maybe even with a fire in it! :ph34r:

You guys need MUCH BETTER eye protection than I see in the pic. Daily glasses are NOT GOOD ENOUGH! My trifocals are poly carbonate safety glasses with side shields and I wear a face shield and or safety goggles too when I'm doing dirty work. Protecting your eyes is the most important safety measure you can take. . . Okay, not burning the house down is close unless there are people in it at the time but you can buy a new house.  

Flip the rail over. Using it flange (base) up is only wide and isn't stiff enough to make a decent anvil. The rail is more rigid so it is more effective. You don't need a large flat surface for an anvil, when you do need flat work lengthwise. Most of the time you'll work across the anvil and the slightly rounded contact surface of a rail makes forging easier.

Next time you pick up a piece of rail mount it on end and grind various bottom tools in the web and flange. Charles posted a number of excellent pictures of the tooling you can make on the end of a rail section. If you run out of room for tools, flip it over and use the other end. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Irondragon,

I have now read That, sorry i should have read it first!

Frosty,

I will get a picture of the pot tomorrow after I clean it out, and thanks for all the tips.  I know we need better eye protection..we just got caught up in the excitement that it actually worked!  We managed to get 3 pairs of tongs finished up and goof around with some scrap metal.  I was kinda thinking what you said about the r.r. track seemed like I was fighting it more than working with it.

Sly,

Thanks for that download..that'll keep me reading for quite a while..which is good I like learning.