I Forge Iron

What to do with steel plate

So I have a few pieces of steel plate, they are all about 3 foot long, give or take a little. I think the thinnest piece is 1/4" and the rest is 1/2". They range in width from 4" to about 2 foot. No piece is the same as any other, but I could weld some together to make a bigger piece since all but one of the pieces are 1/2". I am probably going to use one or more of the bigger pieces to make tables/mounts for my tools, such as grinder and vice. Although I already have a big steel table that's made of all 1/2" steel and it's pretty tall so I'm thinking about cutting a little height off the legs if I need to.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there's anything anyone could suggest I can do with some of it other than making a table, or a forge for that matter. That's already crossed my mind. I've also used a piece to cut some "flat bar" pieces out to forge with. If I can get a straight enough cut with either my torch or grinder I'm going to cut one into 2 inch wide strips to put walls on my forge table so I can keep my coal from falling off. I might just use some thick angle iron my neighbor gave me for that though.

I have a Lincoln 225 Stick welder and I'm at the very least competent in my welding, so any suggestions/ideas are appreciated. The steel has just been laying around and I want to do something with it. 

Thanks, Pr3ssure

I'll have to check it out. I hate how many things there are you can do with steel. Well, I guess I don't hate it but I always draw a blank when it comes time for me to do something with it cause there's so much I want to do. Like every time I go fire up the forge I'm just like, hmm what to do? I've seen so many examples but can't decide on just one. Even just out of the beginner projects, I want to do them all at once. I still need to try my hand at a leaf though.

14 hours ago, Pr3ssure said:

Like every time I go fire up the forge I'm just like, hmm what to do?

I have a note taking app on my phone where I keep running lists of projects I’d like to attempt, projects in process, things I need from the hardware store or steel supplier, projects completed, tools I need to make or modify, and — most relevant to your situation — an agenda for the next time I’m in the shop. This is broken down into two sections: Forging and Non-Forging, so that regardless of whether or not I get the fire going, I know what I’ll be working on next. 

This also helps break down a project into its component stages, so you’re not stuck without the tool you should have made before you got started. 

That's a good idea. I have a notebook in the shop I was planning to use for something like that. I wasn't thinking quite as far into as that though. So I'll have to start doing that. I'm about to go over and try and get about 2 hours in before the sun sets on me. I was thinking of trying a leaf finally and maybe attempt a drawer handle.

Ditto Arftist. There's a common trap we all find ourselves stepping into. Just because you have a thing does NOT mean you HAVE TO use it. That's good stock, set it out of the way, it'll come in handy. I promise.

Frosty The Lucky.