I Forge Iron

stone

blackleafforge

I wanted to make some companion sets set in stone but don't have any experience with the stuff. After looking online I think I will go for limestone so I can carve a bit of detail on to it, but I am concerned about it cracking. Is limestone a good choice? if not does anyone have any experience or advice about the kind of stone to use?

Thanks

Note that their are hundreds if not thousands of types of limestone and some will work exceedingly well and others will not---like mushrooms; some are good to eat and some are NOT!

I would talk with a local stone mason and get their opinion on what would work well for your intended use and is available locally.

(Note that place with the word "henge" in their name may be very fussy about folks wanting to repurpose stones in their vicinity.)

I have found that companies that cut out sink openings in kitchen countertops, often give piles of stone oblongs and discs away on freecycle and similar websites.

Use drill bits made for cutting glass, make a dam of clay around the spot, and keep the bit wet. youtube has lots of videos.