I Forge Iron

Any steam hammers available?

Would anyone know where to get parts or possibly a broken 200 pound Chambersburg H model utility? Im missing linkages and valves. This one is brand new from 1952. Was never put together by end user. I call him Chingachgook because he is the last of the Mohicans. Dies have never hit iron lol.

20180911_184203.jpg

20180911_184210.jpg

20180911_184241.jpg

6 hours ago, marcusb said:

Well, you will need one of these........ :(. Have you contacted Ajax? I think they are whats left of Chambersburg? Its a long shot but they may still have prints or better yet parts. 

IMG_3319.JPG

Already tried that. I about fainted when I got the quote lol. They absolutely will not give out prints either. Is that part yours? Would you sell if so?

I know the feeling. I called a manufacture looking to purchase an owners manual for one of my hammers. They said sure we have them.....for $750! Luckily shortly there after I found the original. All it has in it is foundation plans and part #'s for that $750 bucks. With a hammer like that it may be worth biting the bullet one time. The spool above is mine but its for a big Erie hammer. Whats the story on the one you have?

15 minutes ago, marcusb said:

*Whats the story on your 200 pounds never used hammer?

I got cast iron fever and paid way to much for it because it was never used and told it would be "easy" to fix lol. That was 6 or more years ago. It was built in 1952 and has a department of army tag on it. It went to an army base in new york and they never put it together. They must have threw the other pallet of parts away. It still has the original wood protecting the rod. I learned knife makers are good statesmen at least, he saw me coming a mile out lol.

We have all been there.....I use the term "married to it" when I have no choice but to keep something because I would loose money on it otherwise :D I will keep an eye out, if I find anything you can use I will let you know! That's a wonderful hammer, sure hate to think of it setting around idle.

the 1500lbs hammer was like 750cfm..  Where it would run off a 15hp boiler...    I figured out the cost of just supplying the air and the only way it would be feasible would really be to make some serious money..   I then looked into anvil making which was always one of my dreams and unless you are buying metal in large enough volume, it's cheaper just to buy one from someone all ready doing it, even if cast vs forged.. 

I want a steam hammer in the worse way. and the only way to make it possible it so find an old steam boiler or to find one of the old fashioned high volume shop compressors  which I actually owned at one time..    Or a smaller hammer in the 100 to 150lbs range.. LOve it.. 

Before I moved to my current location I had a dream of the shop I wanted and saved, scrounged and searched for certain items which were in my mind rare or once a lifetime kind of deals.. 

The compressor was a huge Ingersoll rand  V 4 type 40 /H100   that needed a 70hp power plant..  I picked up a 80hp diesel motor and was going to couple the 2 together..   

Sadly, I got completely burnt out with the smithing business and closed shop 2004.. When i did this the stuff was at my Fathers house and every time I'd see him, he'd swear at me to get the stuff out of there.. LOL..   We were in the process of closing on our house but couldn't handle it anymore.. So in anger said "  Do what your gonna do.. I'm to tired to argue about it"..    

It ended the conversation, but the week later.. The compressor, the diesel motor, a huge 3 speed hand operated/ belt driven drill press,  most the parts to my casting furnace (blower, piping, jets, etc, etc,    2 complete Kawasaki  H1's , all my high carbon steel stock, all the smaller hand crank blowers,  my explosion proof air circulator,  and my 10hp powered ventilator (saving for down blast forges) were gone..

At that point  we had closed on the house and I moved the rest of my equipment asap..  

Personally I never thought I'd get back into smithing.. I was so burnt out..  But, having a place to move the stuff to.. I was a little upset..   Our relationship never really recovered...         

I appreciate your concern Thomas, boilers have the potential to release immense amounts of energy if not properly used. Having said that I am part of a very knowledgeable steam association and we do everything to take all precautions and make sure we run these boilers safely.

1 minute ago, jlpservicesinc said:

sharp tungsten..    I am so happy for you... I am jumping up and down for joy..    This is a life long dream of mine.. so please share as much as you can so I can then live vicariously through you and your exploits..  

self contained winch?  Off steam shovel maybe? 

An old logging donkey. Basically a steam tugger.

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Do tell..   Local find?   Still stuck in the logging camp....  Long line logging setup? 

I bought it off another steam enthusiast. A stand up older gentleman from around the Toledo Ohio area. He acquired it from the upper Michigan region but other than that we do not know much. What we do know is the boiler is butt strap construction which is a huge deal in antique boilers. Other than the smoke box being missing this boiler is in fantastic shape. Funny to ponder how many thousands of feet of timber this little donkey has pulled to the mills in its region.

• 3 months later...