I Forge Iron

Any steam hammers available?

Yes they are available; Not knowing which of the 100+ countries that participate here on this forum on the World Wide Web; I can't suggest any local to yourself---I knew a fellow in Indiana who had a 600# steam hammer in front of his shop for years.  They just scrapped an Erie I believe in Central Ohio.

Have you contacted the Pittsburgh ABANA affiliate and asked around?  Unfortunately Tons of them were scrapped out with the closing of the steel plants---many of such plants had small to medium steam hammers for tool room use. (Like the one that just was scrapped in Columbus OH)

Might check at some retired steelworkers haunts to see if anyone remembers one "hiding out".  

Have you placed a wanted ad in the paper(s) yet?

We had a meeting at a smithy up in Northern NM where I camped in the boneyard around a 1000# and 2000# Chambersburg pieces.  The smith had a working 200# Chambersburg and an Erie converted to air in his shop.  My avatar pic is me using the 200#; I envy you a lot!

What size range are you looking for?

5 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Yes they are available; Not knowing which of the 100+ countries that participate here on this forum on the World Wide Web; I can't suggest any local to yourself---I knew a fellow in Indiana who had a 600# steam hammer in front of his shop for years.  They just scrapped an Erie I believe in Central Ohio.

What size was the Erie that got scrapped?

Honestly I can handle anything up to a 1000 pounds or so. I may go bigger if it's the right hammer. I would love an a frame but they tend to be over 3000 pound class usually. I'm looking to exhibit these hammers for the general public to use and enjoy. Kind of a working museum type deal.

Here is the 500 Chambersburg L model for your viewing pleasure. It's in original condition from the day it came from American Bridge. It's been sitting outside but it's all there. I call her sturdy Gurty.

20180720_191256.jpg

Just a couple of thoughts:  If you are going to use live steam make sure that you have a long talk with whoever regulates boilers and pressure vessels in your area.  In CO it is the state but there may be local regulatory agencies in other areas.  This is important for both legal and safety issues.  Boiler explosions used to be a fairly common occurrence and not fun ones.

Also, if you are running a machine designed for steam power with compressed air think seriously about introducing some water into the system to keep the various glands and packing from drying out.  They were designed for a wet environment and may not like a dry source of pressure.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

There is just not a market for these.  Smiths who use them often have gotten them below scrap cost as the difficulties in removing them cut into the possible scrap payment.

Running an applicable boiler is a big add on cost---why conversion to compressed air is so common.

Above 200 pounds I agree its a small market. That does not seem to stop people that have them from wanting 15k....... :) Industry cut off seems to be 1500 pounds minimum for an A frame. Nobody forges open die in industry anymore so a wobbly old C frame is no use to them.

I have seen several listings thru dealers for 1000 pounders and up ST, if your o.k. with paying retail+the move I can send you a couple links. Scrap priced I have not seen any for 2 years.......

I had the chance to buy a whole bunch of them.. There is a thread here somewhere on the sell off.. 

FYI,, There is no air conversion needed for the Erie hammers..  Only an oiler installed if the hammer doesn't have one.. 

Sadly I looked at the a 1500lbs and a 3000lbs single frame  but once I figured out how much just load out was and then compressors for the  air it would take to run them it just didn't make sense from an investment stand point.. 

if I could find a 50,  100 or 200lbs Erie steam hammer I'd jump on it..   This is a small enough size to run on a reasonable compressor.. 

if you have steam, then it's a no brainer..   

One Caveat to the "no conversion from stream needed". To run stream they have blow by built into them... Makes them real pigs on air.... well even more of an Air pig....:D If I recall correctly they need the constant flow of steam to prevent condensation buildup. Hence why they Tup at idle to.

When I spoke with the guy at Erie,,  He said the Erie hammers were designed from the factory to use either steam or air with no modification.. 

He said using the hammers with steam they needed a blow off time to warm everything up, but for air as long as they are oiled daily , it's a set it and forget function.. He said the rings and pistons were designed for either.. 

I don't have any experience running one but was shocked at the amount of air vs steam needed to run the 1500lbs hammer.. 

sure does and the hotter the steam the more work it can do..   

it was awhile ago, but for some reason a 13hp steam boiler was needed to run the 1500lbs hammer..  But it came out to like 500cuft of air at 125psi..  My number are off but not that much.. 

Steam expands and air compresses..