I Forge Iron

Frozen drive Fairbanks Drive Shaft

I was given a clutch fork assembly for a John Deere A tractor.The frame was cast iron and had a steel shaft that runs thru the casting. Rusted/bonded into a solid mass. This part had laid out in a field for many many years....Rusted Solid! Soaked it in Kroil for a week or so and it moved free like a new one. I would never have believed it had I not done it myself. I'm sure its bad stuff but it works miracles.... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

This has worked for me, before you go home at night heat up the SHAFT, next day put a three foot pipe wrench with pads to prevent marring and get all of your weight on it. Spray lots of kroil wherever you can. Repeat day after day. Took me two weeks to loosen a frozen shaft AND I didn't break anything! Once you hear the first little screech you've won. Patience is the key.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2018 at 9:56 PM, Steven Bronstein said:

good idea. Because the oiler holes are on the sides of the shaft bushings I may flip the machine upside down with my hoist. I know that sounds crazy but I am not convinced capillary action is taking the oil all the way around the shaft. The vibration should help.

An easier solution would be to install an elbow in each hole then plumb to a point above the journal, then fill with oil and let it soak