MilwaukeeJon

Favorite steel for an ax bit

I’ve been making more axes recently and so far have used 1080, 1080+, 5160, 1045, and 1084 as bits. Any thoughts on which is the easiest to forge weld (in a gas forge) to a 1018 ax body or do they all generally weld the same? 

I've used 5160, 1075 and 1084 for bits on axes and hawks.  Haven't made a tremendous number, but don't really notice any major difference between the forge welding.  I would consider taking the 1045 out of the mix unless you are going for a axe/hawk that is primarily for throwing.  With the inevitable carbon migration you might end up with an edge that doesn't have the carbon content to harden as much as you would like.  Not as critical for a throwing axe, IMHO, where toughness can trump hardness, but each to his own.

Thanks for the suggestions. Still working out the ax welding approach that works best for me (and my forge). Maybe this is common but I find that the thin edges of the slit end of the body don’t tend to weld so well. As a result there is a bit of grinding or filing to get back to a solid weld. 

Seems to be very common in both folded and drifted ax bodies to to taper down to a thin edge where the similarly tapered bit gets welded. 

I definitely will keep on practicing....