Hunter Copelin

Raindrop pattern welded billet

A friend of mine bought me a beautiful billet for Christmas. It is a ton of metal! 

This thing is  3/16 thick, 2.25” wide and 10” long. 

Honestly, if this was 1095 I would think I had conservatively 3 knives worth of steel here, but this thing already has the pattern perfectly made out on it. If I Forge this into a couple knives will I ruin the raindrop effect? Or could I potentially make it into an interesting smashed down personalized raindrop billet? Ooorrrr would anyone advise I just draw a full tang 10” knife on it and hit the grinder?

67EC4DC3-15D8-4F4E-A5AD-3152B4F35E6C.jpeg

7A5FB157-9121-4D06-8062-EA2BA2F20836.jpeg

Perhaps you can find a smith who has a rolling mill who'd be willing to reshape the bar?

Forging will alter the pattern.  There's not much getting around that.   Perhaps you could cut it lengthwise to get two blanks and forge in the bevels.  With raindrop pattern if you do a lot of stock removal you will probably grind through all of the pattern where you did the deepest grinding anyway. If you forge in the bevels you can keep some of the pattern, but it will elongate in whatever directions the steel "stretches" compared to its current state.

Try forging 1 blade fro a subsection nd see if you get an acceptable blade from it. 3/16 isn't thick enough for a lot of forgining anyway.

20 hours ago, Buzzkill said:

Forging will alter the pattern.  There's not much getting around that.   

Finding a smith with either a power hammer with big flat dies or a hydraulic press will only make the drops larger, but should keep the round shape.  

of course stock removal will remove part of the pattern, since its  a surface effect much like ladder pattern

With that rationale; all my hammers are Powers' Hammers!