Bart

Modified knife is chipping like crazy

Hi All,

A friend of mine who has unfortunately lost his right hand in an accident popped in this morning with his hunting knife which he wanted me to sharpen it again.

Eyeballing the knife's edge I noticed that is was massively chipped.

I managed to get it sharp again by using a few whetstones but I still got major concerns about the quality of the blade.

The blade was marked as being a Winchester hunting knife, but googeling the knife makes me think it's a China made blade.... so there's a certain doubt about quality. Besides that the specs of the blade reckon it's surgical stainless steel, and I don't have any experience with that kind of material....i.e. it doesn't ring a bell.

Anyway... the knife's handle has been removed by an orthopedic device maker, in order to weld an adapter on it which fits in my mate's hand prosthesis. 

Could it be that the hardness of the blade has suffered from the TIG welding so that it may have caused the edge to chip that bad? The area of the blade adjacent to where the handle used to be showed some brown and blue discoloration.

Or is it just another piece of China crap?

Just tell me what you guys think...

Grtz, Bart.

If the edge did not discolour it was not affected by the welding.  I do worry that the welder did not take in account the high Carbon metal in his work and so it may be an accident waiting to happen!

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your reply.

Like you say, the edge did not discolor and I think you might be right that the welding didn't do the blade any good.

And to Glen, unfortunately I didn't make any pics and started wondering after I've ground the blade. What I can do is await to see what happens with the blade in the near future. It is only used for gutting and cutting rabbits, so there's not a lot of force involved....  I hope to be able to post some more .

I've got some pics from after the sharpening, but they're not telling something very obvious I'd say.

Anyway, we'll see...

Could be from improper tempering or excessive grain growth

I think it hardly matters now WHY it's brittle. It is what it is. All you can do is deal with it. A secondary bevel, with greater angle, is one way.

Hi Guys, thanks for your replies and of course a happy and healthy 2019!

Here's some pics from after the rework. It was just to get him going again and we'll see how it's going to wear again.

On the first pic you can see what type of blade it is, the second one shows some dull spots on the edge and on the last one you can still see a bit of the discoloration.

Grtz, Bart.

31fce558-d8e7-4c20-ac60-b5d15cc3dec8.JPG

351a8a85-c6ef-4432-afa0-4695fe263ccd.JPG

f5557a34-f026-43d5-aaab-74dc974bba00.JPG