I Forge Iron

Just a photo.

alexandr

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think so Alex. I've never heard of golf in or from Russia but you never know. I like well manicured landscapes like you show us. 

Golf is pretty pervasive in America even small towns have golf courses. There are even dedicated TV channels that play nothing but golf and instructional golf programs. I watch once in a while, the courses are beautiful and now and then someone makes spectacular shots but it's the scenery I watch. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

I live near one of those small-town golf courses, and it's a great source of golf balls for file handles. My neighbor's Lab likes to retrieve them from the undergrowth next to the course, and he passes them along to me.

People started playing golf in America in the mid 17th. century. The American revolution happened in the late 18th. 

John may have a point anyway. 

Do people engage in "curling" in Russia? All you need is a sheet of ice some polished rocks and brooms. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

Golf's origin is curling, probably as a summer sport. As is nine pins. 

An Alaskan version of curling is, touch your brakes in the S curves on the Glenn Highway during winter rush hour. The first couple snow falls or icy days tend to result in a couple hundred ditch divers. (Gutter cars?) Happily not too many 10 or more vehicle pile ups, (strikes?) A few years ago we had a 70+ vehicle pile up with fatalities.

You'd think a place where icy roads can happen 7 months out of the year would have good slick road skills. Most do but we have a large transient demographic so every fall is icy road school. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

Couldn't get someone to hold their beer?   

I remember one year we had a bad storm in Columbus Ohio; (back 20+ years ago when I was living there), all the folks with 4WD's and SUVs got an education in the fact that while they could accelerate on bad roads more than an "average" vehicle; they still had the same number of brakes and all that momentum has to go somewhere.  Seemed like I saw a continuous line of "fancy" cars along the highway in the ditches while I was driving, slowly and carefully to work...

Uh HUH, that's a lot more effort of thought than the average driver EVER engages in. A black road above 32f. is wet and traction is reduced compared to a gray, dry road. A black road below 32f is covered in ice and traction is maybe 10% IF you know what you're doing. 

Once you get water / ice figured out you can start to calculate stopping and maneuvering distance. This is WAY more thought than put into driving for all too many folk. A common driving technique is to follow close enough the tail lights ahead of you help you stay in the lane. Literally line them up on your hood. 

Your wisdom regarding 4x4 vehicles only holds true if you don't know how to brake on slick roads. People lose control of their vehicle on slick roads because static friction changes to kinetic friction easily.

2xs  have comparable brakes however one set of wheels has an engine driving them which requires stronger braking to slow. The difference in braking causes the unpowered wheels to skid while the other set is still rolling. 

It is virtually impossible to maintain control of a vehicle with one end skidding and the other under static friction. Front wheel drives swap ends, rear wheel drives are pushed into trouble. Leaving the roadway is the happy result.

A 4x4 has all wheels coupled through the transmission and engine so all wheels are operating under either static friction conditions or kinetic friction conditions. First it's harder to lock up all the wheels, traction is distributed and all are connected to the engine. 

However most people panic brake in virtually any situation. If your response to something unexpected is to stomp the brakes and stop then it doesn't matter what you drive you're going to hit the ditch if you're lucky and luck is all that kind of operator has, or objects. 

Modern anti skid brakes have greatly improved the advantages of 4x4 vehicles in slick conditions. Regardless of anti skid brakes making it virtually impossible to lock them up, all you have to do is TRY to swerve and your vehicle becomes a 2D ballistic missile.

Unfortunately you can't make anything fool proof, fools are too inventive. I've been driving in the worst of conditions 7/12 for 50 years and have had a total of 4 collisions, 3 of which were the other driver doing something I couldn't avoid. I cop fully to my first accident, my bad I wasn't as good as I thought and driving a 4x4 was my undoing. I slid off a curve and clipped another vehicle. I didn't lock it up and hit something. 

Regardless of the superior controllability of a 4x4 I always maintain a minimum 3 seconds of following distance and read the conditions and situation as far ahead as I can see while keeping an eye on traffic beside and behind me in case I need somewhere to dodge.

I always drive the conditions, all of them, not just the perceived traction.

Frosty The Lucky.