I Forge Iron

Just a photo.

alexandr

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta be some sort of fungal growth. I know it looks like grass, but it is July and grass is brown and crusty by July in Oklahoma. :P

Seriously though, this winter we will be regretting all this lushness.  The ice storms will hit and all the rapid, new growth of branches in the trees will come crashing down on the power lines  I say it every year, but never follow through on it, maybe this year will be different and I will actually buy a generator.

Different subject, I just watched Russian movie on Netflix called Major Grom: Plague Doctor.  It was not terrible.  Would have been a lot better if it had subtitles instead of overdubbing in English.  It was also very cliche.  Think 48 Hours meets Batman and you have the movie.  Still good and entertaining.

I didn’t get the location initially, but about 15 minutes in I realized it was St Petersburg.  Very interesting mix of the old and the new.  Reminded me of Paris and Amsterdam for some reason.  

Twice during the movie the protagonist got something which looked very much like a burrito from a small stand.  What the heck was it?  Russians eat burritos?

So it is what we would call a gyro here. The photo below is from an image from the website of one of the gyro & kabob places in Norman just down the street from the hospital. It is ok, but only after I remove most of the salad from it. It is certainly better than the gyros you would get at the food courts of any of the shopping malls that are still around. That meat is only “meat-like”. I believe they mix ground beef and bits of ground lamb together with other “choice” bits of animal byproducts and form it into a round log that they roast upright on a rotisserie. I refuse to eat the mall version. I would sooner eat fried squid. 

Neither the mall version nor the version you would find in a proper gyro & kabob place are easily eaten on the move. That shawarma they were eating was totally wrapped and looked pretty good. Assuming I could find one made from beef, chicken, or pork, I think I would like them. I have never liked lamb or goat. 

How do you keep fungus from killing your roses?  I really like that covered walkway. I still need to send pictures of where I would like to place one in my back yard. 

4BE01F91-D901-4830-8BE6-C4ABE38CA43E.png

There are a couple places you can get gyros here in Wasilla, neither try to sell mystery meat, those places don't last long. I have them hold the cucumber it repeats for a long time if I eat it. The cucumber sauce is okay though. They'll serve the folded style or wrap it, however you like.

There's a place in Anchorage we'd call ahead for take out gyros for lunch with the sauce on the side so we could eat in the trucks.

Are you sure you had lamb, D? Lots of places let lambs grow till they start turning to mutton and still call it lamb. Mutton is too strong and takes serious recipe manipulation to make my palate not cringe.

BBQ goat kid on the other hand is the best meat I've ever tasted, it takes the flavor of the smoke beautifully without getting overpowered and is still a delicate flavor.

What you REALLY have to watch for with goat though is their propensity for eating most anything and you can get some strange flavors. 

When I searched  "Shaverma" all the hits I got worth reading were part of ads for visiting St. Petersburg and it's architecture. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Shawarma is another name for the dish. Shaverma is regional to Russia, St. Petersburg especially. I found pretty good info on a cooking web site, there are lots of regional variations.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, DHarris said:

How does a place so far north come to like Mediterranean food?

Why does this surprise you?Russia is a cold country. Many people prefer to relax on the Mediterranean Sea.

Luxurious warm evening.  We are resting.  One of the favorite Russian dishes is shashlik.

IMG-20210712-WA0002.jpg

IMG_20210711_235255.jpg

IMG_20210711_210729.jpg

IMG_20210711_164032.jpg

What meat?  Marinated?  What else do you have with it?

Lovely setting for it. 

We have the same migrations here. The Canadians (we call them snow birds) go down to Texas and Florida every winter. 

As for Americans, Florida, Galveston, Cabo, or Cozumel is where we go, although Oklahomans go to Colorado around Christmas to ski. 

here's off my family's deck the hill line is 1.5-2 km off and we usually see the mountains beyond them this pick is about 5 min old and it has since got worse. the smoke is coming from a fire 70-80 km from us but we are safe for now as it is a highway and multiple decent rivers away to the soth west

IMG_0090.thumb.JPG.ac6aad371cd8ed86236a2ddbdbabf3bb.JPG

M.J.Lampert

It is not your English as I did not understand the question either at first.

recipes
a set of instructions for preparing a particular dish, including a list of the ingredients (food materials) required.

On 7/13/2021 at 5:43 PM, DHarris said:

Is it only US soldiers who refer to kilometers as ‘klicks’?

no 

there is a large logging industry in the area and when we talk of distance we'll say go 25 clicks and turn left, etc... i used the proper term as i was unsure of the international commonness of the expression

M.J.Lampert