I Forge Iron

Just a photo.

alexandr

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, "light frost". I wish we would have frost like that. That reminds me of how it used to snow around here when I was a kid. Now were lucky to get any snow during the winter. We do get some nice inversion layers where the clouds sink into the valleys

IMG_20181221_170355332.thumb.jpg.804962817fe601acdfa01df9ffe43552.jpg

My favorite times are in the spring and early summer when the gardens are in full bloom

LRM_EXPORT_48469005488994_20180920_113244780.thumb.jpeg.9d2aa8309972f5e19eb573dd27fafdce.jpegLRM_EXPORT_48516753297517_20180920_113332528.thumb.jpeg.2fb9c6a4b5a1ab6e18dd1c5de4fb6180.jpegLRM_EXPORT_48526467604597_20180920_113342242.thumb.jpeg.76a9909577e92c20c0dc3f471984dd99.jpegIMG_20180604_203814638.thumb.jpg.eb0da34985df4508dc09c7d610d670d1.jpg

On 12/28/2018 at 5:11 PM, Shabumi said:

My favorite times are in the spring and early summer when the gardens are in full bloom

Beautiful garden.

On 12/28/2018 at 5:48 PM, ausfire said:

Stormy, at times cyclonic weather here. Nearby town had 680mm of rain overnight. That's life in the tropics.

Even the birds are looking for shelter:

Sometimes it rains here for more than a month.

You have an advantage. No need to pay for heating the house and clean the snow.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Thank you Alexandr, it's still a work in progress. Those photos were of this summer, here's the disarray it's in now.IMG_20181229_114950111.thumb.jpg.a1004461fb4df0758e99fec12d08657a.jpg

Quick gardening tip: if you design the garden to look good in your harshest season, it'll look great the rest of the year. For us it's winter, so we use conifers as the backbone as they look great through our winters. 

Another tip is repetition is key. Shape, color, texture and height. You can see that with the conifers. Most have the same "sharp" texture in blue and dark green, but are different shapes. Others are the same shape, but have a "flowing" texture to them. We plant grasses and daylillies around the conifers to add contrasting textures with their light airy-ness and pops of color. Mix in some barberries to get some bold reds and yellows through the summer, maples for autumnal color, and you have a garden that has year round interest. I think this tip would translate over to forging gates and fences well too.

Alex, those snowfalls and icicles hanging from the roof make for stunning, most scenic photography, but I don't think I would like the clean up. I guess it all turns to mush when it thaws out.

And you're right, at least we don't have to heat the house. The rain is warm.

The sad thing is that while we are deluged with rain, just a couple of hundred kilometres west, the farmers and graziers are in severe drought. What a pity we can't even things out.

With the rain falling, it's not too hot around the forge, which is a bonus at Christmas time. Our visitor numbers are down though. People down south get frightened when there is a sniff of a cyclone up here.

Looks like home to me Alexandr, wrong kinds of trees but the rest looks close. We haven't had a real snow year in four though we're getting almost normal weather this winter. We got about 15-16 cm. last night and it's still snowing, good thing I left the plow on the truck. 

I really like the sparkles when the light hits the snow or hoarfrost, sundogs are cool. 

Are your lakes frozen enough to drive on? The ice broke up during the quake here. So far the only fatalities attributable maybe probably to the Nov 30 quake. A married couple were riding their snow machines on the trails near Big Lake, they had been riding on for a couple decades and broke through the ice. It was a long used and well established trail, the little lake they were crossing isn't known for open leads but it got them.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 12/29/2018 at 3:22 PM, Shabumi said:

Quick gardening tip: if you design the garden to look good in your harshest season, it'll look great the rest of the year. For us it's winter, so we use conifers as the backbone as they look great through our winters. 

HI!

Agree with you. We have more than 50 tui, conifers. Different in shape and color. My wife loves roses, about 400 varieties.

On 12/29/2018 at 5:23 PM, Frosty said:

wrong kinds of trees but the rest looks close

I can't convince my wife to prune trees. She does not want to do this.

26.jpg

DSCN4259.JPG

DSCN3074.JPG

49.jpg

9 .jpg

12 .jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

DSCN1933.JPG

DSCN1946.JPG

DSCN1967.JPG

DSCN2928.JPG

On 12/30/2018 at 11:18 AM, alexandr said:

My wife loves roses, about 400 varieties... I can't convince my wife to prune trees....

We had alot of roses that were neglected by my great Aunt. They all had died back to the root stuck, so we had to remove all but a few:(. I'm not complaining too much, pruning roses is about as much fun as clearing briars. Now we try to keep our plantings as care free as possible. The garden should be enjoyable.

The garden looks wonderful. I love the archway. Is it the angle of the photo, or is it designed to be off center?

Everything looks wonderful. This is the kind of work I wanted to do when I got started. You've provided even more inspiration for me. I've been working on the basics to get a clean look before I try larger projects like a gate or fence. But I might try a free standing vine support like the one in the third picture so I can feel I've accomplished something more than a hook or bottle opener. Thank you for sharing.

We had snow here in El Paso TX region!  About 2.5 cm and gone the next day save for the mountains.

Typical year we get about 22 cm total precipitation and scrub mesquite trees and creosote bush are what grows wild here---each one spaced from the next one so you can hike for miles and never touch a bush.

• 3 weeks later...

I was airing out the house today; didn't have the furnace on the last couple of days even at night.  It's a burden that some of us have to shoulder; I had ice tea at lunch and was thinking of firing up the BBQ...

I just sold my old truck; 1989; it died when I was restricted from driving after my surgery a couple of years ago; I still remember tell my wife on the phone and hearing my daughter in the background yelling "Tell him to get something made in this Millenium!!"  I'm going to miss it as it was 6 cyl and I'm back to 4 now. At least I got it to 183XXX miles before it went on to the next owner. Not bragging miles but it met the "next expensive repair---out it goes" level.

I took a walk, shirtsleeves weather! I wandered to the back of the property and started looking over the old farm implements "retired in place" out there.  Found a couple using 2.5" sq stock---probably high C---one 14' of it and the other about 6' of it.  Might make a number of hammers...I must go talk with my landlords... 

105F to 115F in Sydney this past week, however only in one particular area, Penrith,  notorious for being hot and humid, worst possible location for a city. The rest of Sydney had some milder temperatures for summer, around the 90F mark. Not that the weatherman ... sorry person ... is interested. Hot days are announced with dutifully somber faces and funeral voices ... even when it has been this hot every summer since ... well the last ice age :)

I love it :)