I Forge Iron

request for heat treating temperatures.

I have been reading the stickies and watching youtube videos, and the result is that I am confused and have a headache.  My normal method would be to make a bunch of test pieces and experiment for a few months to come up with a process, but thought it could not hurt to ask here instead.

What I want to do is heat treat the tanto I am making to create and maximize a hamon. But I want to do the process in my kiln, using numbers instead of expert intuitive blacksmithing skills which I do not have yet. 

What I have is a piece of mostly 1080 damascus , about 5mm thick at the thickest point, and I left about 1mm flat where the edge will be. I have satanite to use for blade clay.  I have always used water or motor oil for quenching, but will probably try to get better quenching oil.

I did it today, using Kevin Cashen's numbers. I may have put the clay on a little thinly, or too thick. There is certainly some hamon activity, but I cannot know what polish will show. If I had been color case hardening, it would be a great success. Lots of color. Here it is just after quench:

77d67e8559748d1085084001b61b8f9ae669d91d.jpeg.d6d67395dc2380bef1999f39273d1fc3.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...