Laynne

New hearth

I put together a new frame for my jabod. I used 2x6s from an old pallet, some sheet metal that has been laying around here for the sides and bottom. The firebrick came out of an old wood furnace. There is a 3/8s thick plate for the bottom of the fire bowl. It is 3 1/2" deep and 5" wide, 6" long. I spent the afternoon pulling nails out of and cleaning up a bunch of old rusty horseshoes.

Laynne

PS: Firebrick does get hot if anyone was wondering.

IMG_20181224_110438543.jpg

IMG_20181224_123158781.jpg

Maybe it's a hybrid, I forgot to mention the dirt I used for fill. It is 2x2 feet overall. The barrel top I was using worked fine but, I'm a little square so I do better with straight lines. :)

It definitely does the job with a little more space on top.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately the next couple of months my focus will be on cutting fire wood. I will get in a few hours of hammer time when I can.

Laynne

Now that you have it..  You have it..  and it will be there anytime you need it or want to heat metal up to bang on..  

it's the reason I keep all the tools I do and also the reason new additions keep showing up..  When you need a tool its a hassle as now you are beholden to the market price..