Sign in to follow this  
Peppie

Pressing Forward........Thoughts???

24 ton.  12" X 10" X 1/2" web 53lbs per foot. There is 8" of webbing remaining on the bottom. 13" remaining on the top. Cut a 6 1/4" X  37" rectangle cut out for the ram and anvil. The cylinder is 5" bore, with an 8" stroke. Motor and pump will be sized for a 24 ton press.

20181221_201657.jpg

20181222_141326.jpg

20181222_141313.jpg

I am having two thoughts about connecting the ram to the push plate, and guides.

The first picuture up has the wrong dimensions. But the design is the question, compared to the second design picture.

20181222_160556.jpg

20181222_160430.jpg

My concern with the first drawing is that the ram push plate will want to rotate on the pin and cause the face plate ram guide to bind up on the webbing.

My concern for the second drawing is the 4, 5/16" bolts on each side of the guide block tapped into the rams ear plate. Will they hold?? The force will be on the top of that ear plate, and not on the guide plates....I think???

Any reason that I can not use a DP enclosure  rated motor for my press? The motor  will be outdoors, but sitting in a vented enclosure. 

Hi,

If it were myself I would gusset the web to the sides front and back, top and bottom in order to reduce any chance of twist.

Should make for a clean looking press!

Jspool..... that is the plan. I will use 5/8" plate for the gussets.

I am having  the guide plate machined this week,and a number of the gussets,and anvil plates cut this weekend.

More pics, and info soon to come.

Good Morning,

When you have it working, the creaking and groaning of the frame trying to expand is going to teach you why you need a more substantial frame. Your I-beam in the pictures above show different size flanges. This will cause your i-beam to turn into a Banana.

What you don't realize, 24 Ton = 48,000 psi (Pounds per Square Inch). If your press contact is 3 sq/in, that means 16,000 lbs/sq in. at the contact.  If your press contact is a triangle or similar contact point, your pressure at the contact point of less than 1 sq/in, increases pressure per square inch. 1/2 square inch will be upwards to 96,000 psi. at the contact point. Maybe more.

Hydraulics is Mathematics.

Do you really want to take the risk of an explosion that close to your body!!!

Neil

Swedefiddle. The flanges in the picture above are the same size. It is an optical illusion, or a photo illusion  if you will. Both are 5/8" X 10".

Thanks for the input.

Peppie