I Forge Iron

Pressing Forward........Thoughts???

Peppie

Got alot done this weekend. Built a mobile cart for the power pack.  The motor , and pump will mount below. Waiting on the mailman for my locking swivel casters.

Was also able to work on the guide block. Wanted it adjustable,  and able to replace the brass when worn. 3/8" X 24 bolts with a jam nut. Wondering  if I should attach a spring to the brass, back to the block to keep the brass snug to the bolts. Or am I over thinking?

20190218_173922.jpg

20190218_173946.jpg

20190218_174220.jpg

20190218_174230.jpg

20190218_125008.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spent most of the day at my welders shop. Got it all put together. Here are a few picks of the welds. Hope to get it from my truck, to my shop in the next couple  of days.  Then I can clean it up and get some paint on it were needed. Then it is off to the hydraulics,and electrics.

20190222_092926.jpg

20190222_105101.jpg

20190222_105130.jpg

20190222_134235.jpg

20190222_140113.jpg

Question for those who are following, that are in the know. 

I have a 4 way 3 position valve with no indents and will return to neutral when the handle  is released. Prince item # 2010. It is fitted with a center spring. This valve was recommended in Batson's book. He states that the valve will need to be balanced, to be used as a foot control. He doesn't go into detail on how or why it should be balanced. What does that mean? And how is it done?

Also if I were to use quick disconnect fittings for the hydraulic system. Will the fluid drain out of the hose when I disconnect it from the unit?

Thanks bubba.

I agree. Size doesn't matter. "So they say". It's all about " the force". Lol

I way under estimated the cost of hydraulic fittings,hoses,and assembly labor! It is as much as what I payed for my 5" cylinder! 

Nuthens cheap in this rackett lol i got lucky on the hoses and connections i knew a guy that knew a guy who had the connections lol and the hoses to get it done for a pretty good price.What was your overall price i'll give ya mine just pm me to compare ...

Ty Frosty.

Going to name HIM "Popeye ". I found a vinyl sticker to use as a pattern to etch a steel plate. It shows his huge forearm.  Hope that's not to cutsy??? 

Should have my hydraulics hooked up this week. Then I will fashion a foot control.

More pics to come.

I guess I am going about this in a safe and not outrageous way. Haven't had any comments that insist I am doing something terribly wrong.

Peppie

Looking good My only critique would be the ram sprear eye looks like its a close fit in the moving table and unless there is very little movement or tipping side ways you will either bend the ram spear or break the eye off the spear as the ram spear is not that big in dia. If i was making a press like this I would use a table with much longer guides and a spear bigger in dia, All you need to do with yours is give it a bit more clearance around the spear eye other than that its a well built press Cheers Beaver

BeaverNZ,

There is less than a 1/16" movement from side to side on the ram table. The ram eye is inset to the ram guide block. I am confident that it will not bind.....but I have been wrong  in the past....once.

Thanks Jspool. I will post a video when she breaths.

That's a great idea Frosty. I will crush a can opening day.

Got my lines connected.  Only took me 5 trips to the hose store.

Waiting on my parts to hook the pump to the motor.

Sparky will be here in a couple weeks to energize the press.

20190320_153423.jpg

20190320_153439.jpg

20190320_153456.jpg

On 3/22/2019 at 7:18 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Where are all the mangled finger signs?

How about a sign with a finger smooshed paper thin and pancake sized? Or hanging limp around the bottom die, with good detail on the nail of course?

Warning signs are a must. If I had a lot of people in my shop I'd have lock outs on some equipment.

Frosty The Lucky.