I Forge Iron

Pressing Forward........Thoughts???

Peppie

24 ton.  12" X 10" X 1/2" web 53lbs per foot. There is 8" of webbing remaining on the bottom. 13" remaining on the top. Cut a 6 1/4" X  37" rectangle cut out for the ram and anvil. The cylinder is 5" bore, with an 8" stroke. Motor and pump will be sized for a 24 ton press.

20181221_201657.jpg

20181222_141326.jpg

20181222_141313.jpg

I am having two thoughts about connecting the ram to the push plate, and guides.

The first picuture up has the wrong dimensions. But the design is the question, compared to the second design picture.

20181222_160556.jpg

20181222_160430.jpg

My concern with the first drawing is that the ram push plate will want to rotate on the pin and cause the face plate ram guide to bind up on the webbing.

My concern for the second drawing is the 4, 5/16" bolts on each side of the guide block tapped into the rams ear plate. Will they hold?? The force will be on the top of that ear plate, and not on the guide plates....I think???

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning,

When you have it working, the creaking and groaning of the frame trying to expand is going to teach you why you need a more substantial frame. Your I-beam in the pictures above show different size flanges. This will cause your i-beam to turn into a Banana.

What you don't realize, 24 Ton = 48,000 psi (Pounds per Square Inch). If your press contact is 3 sq/in, that means 16,000 lbs/sq in. at the contact.  If your press contact is a triangle or similar contact point, your pressure at the contact point of less than 1 sq/in, increases pressure per square inch. 1/2 square inch will be upwards to 96,000 psi. at the contact point. Maybe more.

Hydraulics is Mathematics.

Do you really want to take the risk of an explosion that close to your body!!!

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Moving forward on this project. Starting  to tac some pieces in place. I am not a welder,nor do I have a large enough  welder to pull this off. So this press will be hauled to my buddies home for the correct welding it needs.

I want to be sure all the pieces  fit properly before it gets to the welder.

20190126_155527.jpg

20190126_155430.jpg

Progress  report.  Beefed up the lower end. Added a slab of 1/2" plate to both sides of the lower wed. The pieces  labeled  a,b,c,e are 1" x 2 1/2" supports. 

Hope to pick up the top ram guide from the machine  shop tomorrow. 

20190201_133911.jpg

20190201_133923.jpg

20190201_133942.jpg

Worked on the top end today.

The larger cut out at the top is cut wider, to be able to get the ram guide down  into the narrower web area. The ram guide will be machined to fit on the top of the ram and over lap the webbing.

First pic is the angle to hold my dies. 

2nd die plate

3rd top anvil plate

4th filler plate.

5th  5/8" support  plate, also encloses  the filler plate.

6th 5/8" support blocks giving the anvil plate full support to press top plate

7th thickness of support  channel 

8th channel  in place.

If any of you see something  drastically wrong with this set up, please speak up before  it goes to the welder.

20190203_122622.jpg

20190203_122553.jpg

20190203_122535.jpg

20190203_122511.jpg

20190203_122451.jpg

20190203_122432.jpg

20190203_122416.jpg

20190203_122351.jpg

20190203_122240.jpg

Got my guide plate.

20190208_152536.jpg

20190208_152730.jpg

I have  1/16" play from left to right on this guide plate. Is that too much?

The guide block ears will be drilled and tapped for 3/8" bolts to allow adjustments to the brass bar as it wears.

20190208_155812.jpg

20190208_155848.jpg

I have 10+" from die plate to die plate on an 8" stroke cylinder.  I plan to keep my dies height at approx 1" top and bottom. I will also make up a top die spacer to reduce the throw height of the ram for normal use. I understand that the ram shouldn't  be used at full extension. 

20190208_170231.jpg

Quick front  view 

20190208_155910.jpg

I know there has to be a few experienced press operator/builders that have been watching this thread. Looking for some input please.

In the above photos you can see my ram guide block.  It is machined to inset around the top ram pin mount. I had this shape as such to keep the ram plate from tilting from side to side.  Didn't want the guide to get jammed between the webbing.

Question is...will I be able to use dies that are approx 2" off center? Such as a fuller die mounted beside a flat die?

2 hours ago, Jspool said:

Combo “T” dies are great.  Your presses ability to run off center work will depend upon the play and engineering of your guides.  If your upper die cants, your billet will banana as it is drawn out

If thats for me it does banana a bit but a pass or 2 thru the flat die  squares it up pretty quick i don't think a little play will hurt anything.IN my opinion when tolerances are too tight thats when things start happening like binding , welds deforming or worse..

3 hours ago, Jspool said:

Combo “T” dies are great.  Your presses ability to run off center work will depend upon the play and engineering of your guides.  If your upper die cants, your billet will banana as it is drawn out

Jspool. After looking at the above pictures... do you think the engineering is sound enough to press material off center?

From the picture with no dimensions, I would ascerain that the front/back rigidity appears very good.  However, withould knowing the gap on either side to the frame I couldn’t make a guess.  The relatively narrow platen is in hour favor.  I suggest running the press and blow the relief valve pressing something sitting on one side of the press table.  Observe how much cant is created and might be adjusted out.  If the amount is satisfactory, move forward, if not stick to working in the center, or deal with working with wonky billets like I have!

I finally done the math on mine i'm just over 24 ton and its crushed everything i put thru in the last 8 months so with yours hittin the same tonnage it should be fast and strong which is what you want.One problem i had at first was cant like Jspool was talkin  about i just welded in more reinforcement problem solved i think you should be fine you've got lots of reinforcement but its somthing to check right away and get corrected once you start squeezing.It can cause uneven wear quick in the movin parts.And one other thing you'll find out quick is if your freinds a good welder or not with 24 ton...Thought i'd finish with a little welder humor your welder bud should get a laugh out of it...

The guy doing my welding has done it professionally as a union iron worker  for the past 30 years. I have all the confidence  in the world  that the welding on this project will be the least of my worries .

I really believe  there will be " No " on my guide block.