I Forge Iron

Treadmill motor pitfalls?

ObjectZero

I like to build a 2x72 grinder and I've been going over my motor options. One of them being an old treadmill motor. What I'd like to know what are some of the things to look out for when using one and what else to keep in mind? Like when I tell people how to build a compressor out of a fridge motor, I have to point out to get one with a working overload protector or at least still has it attached. I've not messed with a treadmill motor or a treadmills so I know very little about them.

I haven't used one myself, but I recall others here telling about grinder dust getting into the motor and shredding it from the inside. Consider your dust collection system and how you might put the motor in a filtered enclosure.

• 3 weeks later...

I second the grinder dust (swarf) problem. On the grinder I built from mostly treadmill parts, I made an intake duct with a filter for the motor. The motor from my treadmill has a flywheel/pulley that has molded in fan blades to pull air through it. I put the duct on the air intakes on the other side of the motor with a filter. Here's a pic of the filter duct. It's ugly, but it works. It's been working for over two years so far.

IMG_2882.JPG