I Forge Iron

First puukko. No1 Mk3.

fleur de lis

That's similar to what I've been doing. Only by shear happen stance through playing around trying different things. 

I hammered in the bevels roughly 1/4 of the way up. Then with a hot cut top and bottom I isolated the material for the tang. Isl used the top bottom tool because I tend to screw my material if I do it separately. My cuts will pull in opposite directions so my shoulders don't line up. Operator error on my part. 

I drew the tang out after that & clean up with a file.

Then I ran the bevels to roughly half way up the blade. If I go past that, my grinds get wonky for some odd reason. My personal preference is for the convex grinds and over my past few attempts I've found that this works for me. I can do a hollow grind, but have never been fond of it so it is generally avoided. I've started to fiddle with learning to flat grind, but the results so far have been less than satisfactory. All in due time I suppose. 

I enjoy trying new things & learning just a bit more when I mess it up. Eventually I'll get it right as I learn more. Its been a fun journey so far & forging a blade is so much more enjoyable than stock removal.

I tend to get side tracked easily & often. I swear that I went to the shed to work on scales for my little puukko. 

But I had this little piece of drop from the coil spring. Maybe 100mm x 20mm, rough guess there. My wife keeps complaining about the kids messing up her paring knives. Well one thing leads to another & I ended up with this guy. 

Right now its 315mm in length & 4mm in thickness. I will call it, paring knife jumbo. I "plan" to attempt to flat grind, subject to change though. Maybe practice on something first, since I suck at it.  I'm going to use the chunk of purple heart for scales and a scabbard with a bronze pin & a oil finish. Assuming I can find my bottle of solution, I will rust blue the blade. I like a dark rust blue that's been polished up. Used to do up my 1911's this way. 

0111192014~2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I simply love being sick. The joy of a stomach flu is not something I wish on anyone. So I didn't get anything done for most of the last week. 

But I'm better now and was able to get back to it. 

Made some guides, stops, or whatever you call em & started in on the wife's knife type thingy. Just about ready for heat treat. 

Also started the first round of rust bluing the other one I've been fiddling with. Did not progress as well as I had hoped. As I've only ever blued guns before, this is a smidge different. I also need a new hot box, as my current pos ain't producing the humidity I want. It'll get there though. I am digging the grey however...

Till next time. 

0122191827.jpg

0122191826.jpg