I Forge Iron

3D printing

ausfire

I am amazed what those 3D printers can do. Friend of mine at work (Brasso) has one, and he made this cool little key ring holder for the forge. Anyone else done this 3D thing, and are there any applications for our art? The possibilities for casting perhaps?

DSC_9937.JPG

Yes, it really shines in pattern-making for casting pieces.

Though it's also handy for making templates and jigs for repeat work (primarily for machining or grinding ops, not compatible with hot metal). 

While there are sites like thingiverse.com that have all sorts of things that other people have made and shared with the world, to make 3D printing useful for YOU requires learning some sort of 3D construction software (I'm reluctant to use the CAD label, as Sketchup is adequate for many tasks, but isn't what I'd call CAD software). 

Also, pretty much every consumer-grade 3D printer (which are now very affordable) will require a lot of fiddling, trial, and lots of error to get things dialed in to the point where it does what you want.  Even some of the more expensive printers still don't do a perfect job without some tweaks. 

That is some nice looking knife hardware John!

I've had my Tarantula for a few weeks now and feel I've learned a lot, tho there is a lot more to be learned.

After having a good play around with what it can and can't do,  now it's time for upgrades for smoother, squarer finer detailed parts. Definitely not plug and play and definitely not for you if you are not a "tinkerer".